Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Feb 2013 13:36:14 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: SMV's In #1Lane
Comments: To: Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@GMAIL.COM>

for sure .. drivers occupying and blocking the fast lane in a way that cars that want to go faster can't get by is.. whatever, dumb/stupid etc.

there's something else though that is pretty dumb too I think ..for safety and consideration reasons.. that is 'flying in formation' alongside other cars and especially large trucks.

I'm not talking about two or more lanes full of cars. I am talking about say two lanes on a freeway .. and people drive right next to another vehicle for miles even .. or worse...drive right in that other vehicles blind spot.

This is just unsafe..plus it blocks both lanes.. a Fundamental Concept ..what I also like to call a Basic Abstraction is .. ** try to drive AWAY from** the other cars ! Like not near them. I honest believe that one gender feels better and thinks it's good to be close to other cars ...they feel safer that way.

similar to this is "Shadowing" ....this is a serious problem.. I can be driving along on a two lane freeway with noone near me in either lane. A car comes along going 2 mph faster than me...they get to me, they 'lock on' to me several cars lengths back. If I go faster they go faster too, still shadowing me. So I slow down , make thee go around .. but then they slow down. So I blow on by them ..then they gradually get back to where they are shadowing me again ... and this is on a totally emptyfreeway .. And I know they think I'm crazy when I am jestering for them to getthe hell away from me. This affectis Especially Bad in California. There, there's a law that says if you see a car ahead of you,you must accelerate up on them quickly ..then lock ontotheir rear bumper ..or so it seems .

About that gender thing..I was driving at night on empty roads into Bend Oregon from the south last year .. this other volvo , a more modern one ..kept shadowing me ....just wanted to be near me .. I sped up above the speed limit ..got on past ..and a few minutes later this car is too close to me again .. I couldn't get that car to go on ahead of me faster either .. we finally get into town ..I knew full well it was a woman driving ..and it was. Of course that's very UN politically correct to characterize driving habbits by gender .. but I can tell you this ...a young male will just blast on through and charge ahead.. and any smart driver will drive AWAYfrom other cars as much as possible ... and that perhaps one gender feels better closer to other cars ... and it's not even allowed to bring out this safety-related issue by gender. Even the US Navy has figured out that one gender does not have the killer instinct and is 'out there in front of their fighter plane' like the other gender does. so please..regardless of gender or sexual orrientation.. drive AWAY from the other cars whenever possible, not closer.

last comment..I see two cars on an empty road going say 60 mph and they are two car lengths apart.. sure the follower is the stupid jerk, but the car in front allowing it to happen is even stupider.

drive safely and and *away from, not near* other cars when possible ! that distinction alone could save millions of dollars and thousands of lives.. and ...get this ...it is not even taught.

stay safe ! scott On 2/1/2013 9:49 AM, Bob Stevens wrote: > An old discussion here, in one of our local rags. > http://m.ksl.com/index/story/sid/23923913 > Bob > Sent from DAS4X4 >