Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Feb 2013 17:39:13 -0800
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Shore batteries
Comments: To: Steve Williams <sbw@SBW.ORG>

Below,

On 02/07/2013 02:40 PM, Steve Williams wrote: > Last August, Rocket J Squirrel wrote: >> For charging the deep-cycle battery I use a Powerstream >> PST-BC1212-15 DC-to-DC charger <http://www.powerstream.com/DCC.htm>, >> an early version which is set to provide 15 amps peak charging >> current, about perfect for my 130 A/h battery. > > I'd like to know more about this, if you have time. > > The charger you linked to is 7.5 A peak, so what's this about an > "early version"?

The model sold now only charges at 7.5A, but the one I got has a switch which allows it to operate at 15A,

> > How do you have this wired into the van? For example, how did you > set it up so the radio runs off the house battery (downstream of the > DC-to-DC charger) when the engine is off, but off the alternator when > the engine is running?

The radio gets its "memory" +12 from the dash wiring -- the engine battery. It gets its +12 operating power from the house battery. There is a main cutoff switch which kills all loads on the house battery, I use that to turn off all the house appliances and stuff.

> > How do you connect the DC-to-DC charger's input and the starting > battery to the alternator when the engine is running, but disconnect > the charger from the starting battery when the engine is off?

The original camper wiring has a relay under the driver's seat that pulls in when the alternator spins up and it bridges the stock house battery to the engine battery. I've replaced that with a hefty Stancor contactor. When the contactor pulls in, it provides +12 to a selector switch located on the face of the rear bench seat (where the two house batteries live). In one position of the switch, that +12 goes to the input of the DC > DC charger, which charges the house battery at 15A max then tapers off; in the other position that +12 powers a second contactor which connects the alternator to the house battery.

The direct-alternator connection is good for fast bulk charging, but it doesn't fully top off the house battery; the DC > DC charger is good for topping them off. I do a lot of extended dry camping, often in quite hot weather, and I need plenty of power to run the refrigerator, so I try to hit camp with every coulomb of juice in the batteries that I can. I use solar (6A max) for supplemental charging while in camp.

> > I'll come clean: I have extensive electrical knowledge and an > avionics technician certificate, but I've never bothered to decipher > the schematics of my '84 camper's charging system or understand how > the GoWesty aux battery kit modified it. Sorry I'm asking this > question without first doing my homework. > > Thanks! > > I added a couple of skeleton pages to the wiki, if you'd like to respond > there: > > http://www.vanagonwiki.net/wiki/House_Battery_Articles > > http://www.vanagonwiki.net/wiki/Charging_House_Batteries_from_Alternator

Thanks, I'll take a look! But after the old wiki was lost, taking with it a really long and carefully researched article I'd written about my solar rig, I lost heart and gained disgruntlage and haven't been able to work up much enthusiasm for the wiki.

-- Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, Bend, Ore.