Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Feb 2013 16:42:35 -0800
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Steering. Re: P 48.14 Measurement "a"
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Hey Scott.

Just measuring the specs re: plastic sleeve etc. These marks on the upper steering column outer tube (black arrows in this image):

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6eU242lfor4/UQxgXAv45RI/AAAAAAAAGus/kZinKBev7fE/s720/Steering%2520column%2520wiper%2520stalk%2520thing.jpg

may be old marks from the signal-wiper stalk. But that doesn't mean they're correct per se.

Bentley says: A: 51 mm + 5 mm. That doesn't make sense. Maybe they missed including the " - " ? Like it should say: "51 mm +/- 5 mm"

Things worked fine before. I'll just make sure the measurements at the upper-lower steering column join are parallel and be done with it.

Neil.

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > hi Neil.. > that part has always been a little mysterious to me.. that plastic spacer. > mostly I don't have to worry about anything there. > > I am very, *very* big on 'starting with the symptom' .. > > If the symptom you are working is play in the steering .. > I'd look other places, and not at those two pins in holes thing in the > steering collumn shaft ...that's a crash feature of course. > > here's one case of significant play I found... > I let a 350 lb guy drive one of my non-power steering vans for a year > once.. > I also noticed one time when he was backing out of a driveway that he > 'jerked' the steering when it was time to turn .. > After a year of his driving that van, > there was two inches of play at the edge of the steering wheel. > Which I have just never seen in any vanagon really. > > where the tie rods bolt onto the the end of the rack in the steering rack .. > there's a bushing that supports the end of the rack/linear gear .. > on both sides that bushing was trashed, slowing up-down play there .. > resulting in slop in the steering. > > So I jack it up and start at the wheels .. > there is also a 'drive disc' that can wear. > I have not seen the small 'V' I call it, steering box ever wear or fail.. > but one guy said he needed to replace his. > > anyway .if it's play your working on .. > if it is at those pins it will be pretty evident. > scott > > > On 2/1/2013 1:11 PM, neil n wrote: > > On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans > <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > > so ..again .. > what actual problem are you trying to fix ? > > After reading your posts, and one or two on thesamba, nothing per se. > > I thought the larger gap "a" might introduce play into the steering. > (steering is ok, but every little bit helps as you know) Reading > further, maybe the larger gap "a" won't introduce any play into > steering, assuming the rubber bushings etc. are OK. > > A few years ago I replaced the ignition switch. The dash was off at > that time. I was a much less experienced "wrench" at the time so > didn't pay close attention to the position of the plastic spacer. > > I'll study the Bentley, but if the plastic spacer position is > incorrect, would that affect the position of the upper column relative > to the lower column? (i.e. increased gap "a" ?) > > Neil. > > O > >

-- Neil n

65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp

'88 Slate Blue Westy to be named.

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group:

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines