Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Feb 2013 09:49:05 -0800
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Friday: Camping, generators, solar
Comments: cc: WetWesties <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

I've posted before about generators and camping. They're awful, when it's not YOUR generator.

I know there are some with compelling reasons for running their generators while camping. However, that does not erase the intrusion that generators always create, no matter how "quiet" the generator is thought to be by it's owner/operator. I urge you who camp in your vanagons or motorhomes, and I know there are many on these forums who also have larger motor homes, I urge you to consider others who may be camping nearby before you fire up your generator and impose that sound on those within hearing... the sound of your motor running, sometimes for hours at a time....

Now many say..."my generator is really quiet, you can hardly hear it" That may be so, when you are inside your motorhome or you've pointed the exhaust some direction to minimize the noise you hear, but consider that on a silent evening or morning.....that generator will be the loudest thing around...Your nearby camping neighbors won't be able to hear the hooting of owls, or the distant song of a pack of coyotes....they will hear only your Honda and it's nagging drone.....When you fire up that generator, you are taking away some of all the other people's enjoyment of the outdoors. We who camp in Westies are especially prone to hearing those crappy little motors, right through the tents of our pop tops...How many of you have been forced to 'close-up' to minimize a nasty generator droning away nearby, when camping in their Westie?

I realize I am perhaps 'dreaming' when I wish for people to consider those around them as they 'recreate'....We recently had this very fancy 5th wheel trailer with a diesel cab over tow vehicle, boat on top, motorcycle on the bumper....the whole package,,,even had a pop out on a pop out...never seen that before.....they 'camped' near us in the desert. Plenty of solar panels on the rig, too....but he brought out the generator and turned it on morning and night.....When they finally moved on it was like having a toothache fixed! Did they 'need' that generator?...maybe they did. Did we need to hear them running it? Nope. Did they need to camp a few hundred yards away, in an almost wide open desert?...Nope, but people seem to like to camp really close, and moving away from Generator Campers, that would mean moving very frequently...for no reason other than the Generator Campers unthinking actions...

So if you simply MUST run a generator when you camp, how bout choosing your campsites with that in mind? And Solar power actually makes better sense, since it is100% silent.

Ok, thanks for listening, if you haven't hit the delete key and labeled me a lame tree-hugger. Don Hanson