Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Feb 2013 10:57:03 -0700
From:         OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Does this look like a fuel leak?
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

Scott & TWIMC

I can tell you for a fact & from experience that OE Vanagon FuelHoses do deteriorate & LeakLikeASieve ~ Quite literally ~

Back in 1983 I bought what I was told @ the time was NMs very 1st H2OBoxerWesty. Over the next several years I proceed to

put 92K mi's on it & then parked it ( when a FamilyDecision was made to get a more powerful van that was capable of pulling

of pulling a HorseTrailer ). The Westy didn't budge for a bunch of years but I did start it & allow to run for 1/2-1hr every month

or 2. Now I don't really remember how many years that scenario continued but on one of those occasions I went to check on it

by looking out a window where I had a view of its full profile & saw fluid pouring out of it near the back of the engine bay so I

rushed out & shut it down. I was in middle of something @ the time & very dismayed about what had just occurred so I did not

look into what the fluid was 'til the following day @ which time I pulled the EngineBayCover & much to my surprise, didn't find

anything obviously wrong ~ I had it in my head for some reason that the RearMainSeal had gone & I would find oil all over the

back end of the EngineBay. So I started it up & went back to have a look & was shocked to find a VanagonFuelHose rendition of

a LasVegas fountain display ~ needless to say I very quickly ran back & shut it down. The rubber in the hoses on both sides of

the PressureReg' had deteriorated & only the woven sleeve was keeping it all together & acting like a sieve.

One other point I'd like to make about VanagonEngineFires ~ I have spent time pondering why they seem to do so much

destruction & have come to the conclusion that it may be due to the fact that VW provided them with ~ Chimneys ~ DPillars ~

so one item that I have thought about having on hand in addition to FireExtinguishers is something to quickly cover the DPVents

to try to prevent TheFanningOfTheFlames ~ or possibly just plugging up the DPillars ~ are they really necessary on an H2OBoxer ~