Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Feb 2013 20:11:17 -0800
From:         Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Drove off a 9'' curb, and she just died

So at halftime of the Super Bowl, Mrs Elliott and decided to go to a different sports bar. To avoid backing up, like, 50 yards to the curb cut, I just slowly drove the van off a 9'' curb, onto the street. No big deal, I've gone over bigger bumps in the backcountry.

But she just died. Would not start. No sign of damage on the underside, no fluids leaking, electrical system (lights, dash) working. Called my stepson, who works for the local tow company to haul the van back to our driveway. He speculated that it might be the fuel pump. Sees a lot of those failed after bumps in his line of work.

I'll take a look at it in the morning. I'll open the engine compartment and look for anything obvious knocked loose.

(In Days of Olde, When Knights were Bold, Before Electronic Ignition was Invented, I'd check for spark by pulling off a plug cap and seeing if I could draw an arc to the engine, but I have been told that an open plug line could cause damage to the coil, so I don't know if that's a smart thing to do.)

I reckon it could be fuel or ignition. What are my cheap and easy ways to check these? And any other tips for quick and dirty ways to figure out what the issue might be.

I'm thankful this didn't happen in the backcountry. -- Jack "Rocket j Squirrel" Elliott 1984 Westfalia, auto trans, Bend, Ore.