Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Feb 2013 11:58:23 -0500
From:         "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil leak
Comments: To: Robert Clemmer <n51219@comcast.net>

Bob, you should check your crank case vent hose on the top of the engine. It goes from the black plastic crank case vent tower that is to the left of the alternator, over to the intake air boot. Many times these are kinked or collapsed and that can cause high crankcase pressure that will push oil out of the weakest place which is usually the rear main seal for some reason. The other thing to do is to smell your oil. If it smells gassy at all, you should have your fuel injectors cleaned and checked. If you are experiencing high gasoline consumption or gassy smelling oil, you could have gasoline diluting your oil which will cause it to leak past a brand new seal. They are made to hold in oil, not gas. I would also check your oil level. I high oil level can cause leaks. I usually keep my oil level between the two marks on the dip stick. Don't fill it all the way up, keep the oil in between the marks.

What weight of oil are you using? If you are using synthetic, switch to normal. If you engine has over 50k miles on it, I would also use 20/50 weight oil even in the winter. If you do all of these things and still have a leak, then you are going to need to pull it apart again to see what is up. Most of the time you can fix this problem by dealing with one or two of these issues. They are cheap and easy so it is worth a try before ripping the tranny or engine back out.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com