Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Feb 2013 22:22:09 -0500
From:         Walter Houle <whoule@ECSCONTROLS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coolant Overpressurization / Head Gasket Leak

Update: I'm still looking for the cause. I pressurized the cooling system with 15 PSI and didn't see any leaks. Next, I pressurized each cylinder with 100 PSI shop air and did not get any leaks into the cooling system, either. The torque on all the head bolts was OK at 33 ft lbs. I then pulled the low compression head part way off. it didn't look that bad, there actually was minimal corrosion underneath the outer gasket, and I didn't see any cracks. The cylinders were hard to pry off the head but they came loose with some effort with a pry bar and some PB blaster. There was some slight discoloration on the end of the cylinder barrels where they fit in the head. On to the next head. this time one head stud felt a little soft. It took about a quarter turn before the wrench clicked. That's as far as I got. I'm still trying to get the head all the way off. One cylinder barrel is stuck. I have tried soaking it in PB blaster and various pry bars on those little tabs to no avail.

Any recommendations on how to get this cylinder loose? The engine is in the van and the van is in the garage so I am reluctant to try any heat.

Thanks, Walter 1985 1.9 that has been unopened for 15 years ...