Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Feb 2013 00:01:34 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: spring/wire in pop top lift handle
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

At 11:36 PM 2/12/2013, neil n wrote: >The Westfalia OEM cable (looks like galvanized metal?) has 19 strands. >The cable I used is 7 x 19 stainless meant for pulleys and what not. > >The OEM cable feels stiffer but I don't know if that means it's better >or worse than the stainless stuff for that application.

1x19 is less expensive and a lot stiffer than 7x19. On a boat it would be used for standing rigging, and 7x19 for running rigging. Size for size I suspect it's a bit stronger. In the sizes I'm accustomed to (standing rigging on a 32 foot, 12,000 lb boat) the comfortable bending radius is maybe a foot and a half or more. I'm surprised they'd use 1x19 for the bend around the bracket knee, but it's a pretty good radius for skinny wire -- so long as they got the attachment correct so the wire won't be preferentially bent there. That's clearly not the only place they went the cheap route in designing that joint. I'm looking at you, hinge bearing --> https://picasaweb.google.com/117189706757545167023/VanagonPopTopHingeTroubles?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Yrs, d