Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Feb 2013 07:41:13 -0500
From:         Mike B <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Looking for parts
Comments: To: Dick Wong <sailingfc@dslextreme.com>

I had the issue of metric line and SAE union on a steel line once. I carefully ground down the line a little bit until it fit perfectly inside the union then tightened and crimped as normal. It worked fine. Since then, I have sourced some metric compression fittings. The German plastic tubing and ends are still available from my supplier. What is the size of the hole in the banjo ends? I can make the line out of steel braided German hose with the appropriate ends held by crimp sleeves. I have the crimping tools here. As I said, I could make an assembly that will likely outlive your van. I haven't bent the German polyamide tubing, as I don't have any special tools to heat and bend and secure the ends without major distortion. I once took an intake hose, tee and check valve from a Golf and shortened it for use on my Vanagon for my cruise control vacuum reservoir (also from a Golf). I don't think you can buy this material from McMaster-Carr. Sometimes, I can get the materials in a week, but items that aren't in stock can take 3 weeks from Germany. Back-ordered stuff can take an indefinite amount of time, waiting for it to be produced.

Mike