Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Feb 2013 21:00:40 -0700
From:         Richard A Jones <Jones@COLORADO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Friday Philosophy: On Community

> I just want a camper like I have now but reliable enough for me and the wif= > e to trust.

I bought a '61 Splitty in '64 and drove it for 3.5 years. I limped home from Scorro, NM, with the classic "cylinder 3 burnt exhaust valve" but I made it--it just took longer. It also took me to New York, Canada, North Dakota--and back. I drove it over Cinamon Pass and Engineer Pass and other primitive roads.

I bought a '67 Splitty Kombi new and drove it for 9 years and 150,000+ miles. It got to California and Wisconsin several times--and back.

I bought a '76 and drove it 5 years. It got me to California, Oregon, Wisconsin, New Mexico--and back. I traded it in because I was tired of being cold after a day of skiing at 10,000'. So...

I bought an '81 with a gas heater. I drove it to Montana, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah--and back. I still have it--and just drove it to Buses by the Bridge at Lake Havasu City--and back. One trip the gear shifting broke about 75 miles from Boulder. I wired it up with some classic bailing wire--and drove home in 2nd and 3rd. I drove it to Lone Pine, California, to climb Mt Whitney in a red hot September. It developed a sinister knocking noise after running hot around Tonopah, Nevada. Back home, it turned out to be piston slap and a call for a Boston Bob engine--but, it got me back home those 1000 miles from Lone Pine, knocking all the way. I also drove it on many primitive roads in NM, Colorado and Utah, including in to American Basin--and back.

I bought an '87 Syncro Westy in '01 and drove it 75,000 miles with the 2.1 waterboxer--many trips on remote roads in Utah, Colorado, Nevada, California, and Baja. It always brought me back. Now I have put 25,000 miles on it with a Subaru 2.5 to Texas, Utah, Idaho, California, Arizona--and back.

Last fall, I bought another Splitty. Oh, it is a tent.... ;-)

With about half a million miles in VW buses, the only trip that was aborted was the one when the shift linkage broke. On the few other trips where there were problem, the VWs got me home.

Until the Syncro, the previous four VW buses were also my daily drivers--and at 5,000' and above. [I really noticed the extra power in the '81 when I was near sea level at Lake Havasu City!] Lots of ski trips all over Colorado, plus to work every day--and back.

How could I have had more reliable, trusty vehicles?

Richard Boulder

[Trips since '95 are at http://jones.colorado.edu]