Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Feb 2013 22:35:58 -0600
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Friday Philosophy: On Community
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>

---- Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > Absolutely correct insight. A community of lunatics that keeps doing the > same thing over and over again hoping the results will be different. > > My kids managed to avoid catching this disease, unlike you! We had great > times travelling in our '68 Westy starting when they were both toddlers, and > it continued until they were in their mid-teens with my '84 Westy. Later > they would each borrow the '84 for their own local trips, but now they > wonder what I was thinking when I bought my "new" '85 last year, figuring > I'm in my dotage and should simply be humored. > > For them it's now using friend's timeshares, exotic travel, and a once a > year family camping trip with us in our van, one family in a tent and the > other in a sailboat moored at Fort Flagler (only place I've found in > Washington where we can do that). > > I don't blame them. I sold the '84 because it was underpowered and horrible > to drive, and bought an EVC. That was a great driver, but a money pit and > inferior camper, and now I'm back to a gutless '85 that is horrible to > drive. I can only hope the Subaru conversion will make it more tolerable. > If not, maybe the future Ford Transit conversions will be sensible: > http://westfalia-ford.co.uk/elevated%20roof/index.html $46,000 base price > in Britain. I wonder what Sportsmobile or Roadtrek would charge for theirs.

Where did you get that price? If I could buy one of these in the U.S. for that price today, I'd do it immediately. mcneely But of course, the converters you mentioned would not produce the same camper. They could be doing so on the chassis they build on today, but they don't. They put everything imaginable beyond reasonable into them, including building slide-out rooms into Sprinter bodies.

Good grief!! > > Stuart > > Jarrett wrote: > > ......I'll admit my bias here: I grew up with VW campers, and so I own one > now. Because I own one, I like hanging out with folks share that lunacy. . . > . > > Jarrett K > Olly, 89 Westy made up of parts, parts, parts=

-- David McNeely