Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Feb 2013 18:42:43 +0000
From:         J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Friday Philosophy: On Community
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>

Hans of Vanaru let me drive a full Westy with a 2.5 a few years ago, and it was amazing! A 2.2 I'm sure would be equally amazing, maybe just slightly less so! Jeff Stewart ----- Original Message ----- > Right now with low compression I can't maintain 45 mph on a moderate > grade > even downshifting to second (it's an auto), and semis pass me. Merging > on > anything other than a downhill ramp is difficult.  Trying to enter a > busy > two lane highway safely requires about a half mile opening since zero > to 60 > is over 10 seconds on the flat, and I'll never get to 60 on a hill. > Takes > all the fun out of driving. I'm confident the 2.2 will be fine, but > I've > never driven one so I don't know for sure. > Stuart > From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans [mailto:scottdaniel@turbovans.com] > Sent: Friday, February 15, 2013 6:22 PM > To: Stuart MacMillan > Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Re: Friday Philosophy: On Community > re  "  I can only hope the Subaru conversion will make it more > tolerable."" > How fast do you need to go ?   A subaru 2.2 has 135 hp , versus 87 for > a 1.9 > wbxr and 95 or so for a 2.1 waterboxer. > btw ..if you had an automatic ..they do suck up some power and > response for > sure .. > far less so with a subaru engine. > The common Subaru 2.5 is 160 hp ..almost double that of a 1.9 > waterboxer. > There's a great test hill on I-5 near me.  It's long ...5 to 7 miles > ...Southbound it gets steeper near the top.. > Normally in a Vanagon you get up good speed in top gear ..like 70 > .....hold > that as long as you can and when you're down to about 55 shift down > one cog > into 3rd  gear with a 4 speed manual trans,   .hoping you can pull the > rest > of the grade at a reasonable 50 - 55 in 3rd. >   A real dog of a vanagon might be stuck at 45 mhp max on that grade. > If you're a real power hog .. > SVX  subaru engine converisons  ( 6 cylinders,  3.3 liters, 230 hp ) >  aren't > done that often these days anymore  .......but one of those will go up > that > grade at 75 in 3rd or 4th gear. Easily.  They drink a bit of gas > though > .....17mpg would be considered very good. > a Westy with a 2.2 subaru engine and auto trans can return 21 mpg > sometimes. > One guy I know claimed a one-time high of 24mpg at high altitude > during a > very hot summer.  That would be rare. But the 4 cylinder subaru > engines go > much better than waterboxers and return the same or slightly better > fuel > milage. > On one recent freshly done Subaru 2.2 engine an 85 Westy ....the woman > drove > that same  whole I-5  grade in 4th gear easily, not getting below > about 58 > to 60 mph.  They go good.  Not only more power ....you have 1,000 more > rpm > to play with too.  Redline is 6,200 rpm. I never take them over about > 5,000 > to 5,500  rpm anyway .  Nice fat wide power curve too, very nicely > matched > to vanagon gear spacing. > .........just in case there is doubt that a subaru engine conversion > isn't > pretty rewarding in a vanagon. > It's not just a little more power ..it's a whole other dimension in > technology .. > 4 valves per cylinder, Overhed cam/s , no distributor, knock sensor > igntion, > sequential fuel injection , lots of nice features. > VRROOOOMM !! > Scott > On 2/15/2013 5:54 PM, Stuart MacMillan wrote: > Absolutely correct insight.  A community of lunatics that keeps doing > the > same thing over and over again hoping the results will be different. > My kids managed to avoid catching this disease, unlike you!   We had > great > times travelling in our '68 Westy starting when they were both > toddlers, and > it continued until they were in their mid-teens with my '84 Westy. >  Later > they would each borrow the '84 for their own local trips, but now they > wonder what I was thinking when I bought my "new" '85 last year, > figuring > I'm in my dotage and should simply be humored. > For them it's now using friend's timeshares, exotic travel, and a once > a > year family camping trip with us in our van, one family in a tent and > the > other in a sailboat moored at Fort Flagler (only place I've found in > Washington where we can do that). > I don't blame them.  I sold the '84 because it was underpowered and > horrible > to drive, and bought an EVC. That was a great driver, but a money pit > and > inferior camper, and now I'm back to a gutless '85 that is horrible to > drive.  I can only hope the Subaru conversion will make it more > tolerable. > If not, maybe the future Ford Transit conversions will be sensible: > http://westfalia-ford.co.uk/elevated%20roof/index.html  $46,000 base > price > in Britain. I wonder what Sportsmobile or Roadtrek would charge for > theirs. > Stuart > Jarrett wrote: > ......I'll admit my bias here: I grew up with VW campers, and so I own > one > now. Because I own one, I like hanging out with folks share that > lunacy. . . > . > Jarrett K > Olly, 89 Westy made up of parts, parts, parts=