Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Feb 2013 15:47:43 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Camper pricing was Re: Friday Philosophy: On Community
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>

At 02:06 PM 2/16/2013, Stuart MacMillan wrote: >right about the US conversions, but Americans seem to want all this >stuff. I think a reasonable conversion could be done for $10k to >$15k over the price of the vehicle, and an "empty" Transit chassis >should be in the $20s, maybe low $30s with options.

Sigh...my first sight of a VW camper was a brand-new UK Loaf that my family dinghy-racing friends had shipped over here when they came to the International 14 championships in Annapolis Maryland in '68. I don't remember it's specific details other than that it was red and had a sink and curtains, but I fell instantly in love; which is how I eventually came to have an '84 Westy. At the time in the UK there was a purchase tax on automobiles that was not levied on caravans (campers), and the amount was enough that a minimum camper sufficient to satisfy the requirements could be done for the amount of the tax that would have otherwise been paid. Several companies were doing conversions. So if you bought a Loaf, you could have it as a strictly passenger vehicle or as a minimal-but-very-real camper for exactly the same amount of money out of pocket. <envy>

These same folks' mother gave my mother a bit of a start when she phoned up prior to them coming to dinner and offered to provide a joint for the affair. Although it was many many years later that my mom finally listened attentively to _La Cucaracha_, even she knew what a joint was in 1968. Two peoples divided by a common tongue... <g>

Yours, David