Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Feb 2013 22:12:33 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Friday Philosophy: On Reliability
Comments: To: Jarrett Anthony Kupcinski <kupcinski@GMAIL.COM>

I know it is no longer Friday but I would like to add some thoughts to this topic. I am late in responding as I was busy having some fun at Daytona. Now that the races are over I have some time to catch up on stuff. So here are some thoughts:

Most of the systems on the Vanagon are really typical of '80 era European vehicles. The good, they are easy to diagnose and service. There is nothing that can't be diagnosed with a good multi-meter and occasionally a pressure gauge. With the exception of a few key components most electrical failures can be bypassed, jumped, etc. to get you home. Belts and hoses are easy to deal with.

The bad: No on board diagnostics or memory to assist with intermittent problems or the dreaded O2 sensor and related wiring issues. The cooling system is complicated and there are a lot failure points including those head gaskets. Add the electrical failures such as cooling fans and gauges and you have all the workings of a hose leak growing into an engine replacement.

Now let's talk about these engines. Pick up the phone book and look at all those places that specialize in engines. Call a few. Very few of them work on VW's, any of them. Next try the large rebuilders like Jasper. Why? Insufficient demand. No for those who seem to have never worked on other makes of vehicles How many Toyota engines never saw 100K due to oiling issues and the resulting rod knocks/piston failures? GM V-6 engines with the composite intake manifolds dropping coolant into the engine through the intake ports? ( I don't see any leaks!) Honda automatic transmissions? Ford V6 and small 8's shrinking head gaskets/loosening bolts. Come winter engine cold gasket shrinks, coolant goes in, start engine next morning, coolant doesn't compress, bent rod. Friend at work joking called the check engine lamp the "change engine" lamp. Three engines in five years and he owned that van from new. Early VW inline motors-valve stem seals? Worn cam journals? Oh and rivets on the differential ring gear failing and blowing a hole in the housing. Ford Power Strokes with the porous cylinder walls from cavitation erosion?

The list goes on. Now keep in mind I have personal experience with all the above and I only do this stuff on a part time basis.

I think there are two major issues that give these vehicles a bad rap. To begin with folks buy them with little knowledge or experience and then expect a 2025 year old vehicle to not only perform as a new vehicle but to also be able to go on long journeys and to even be able to live in them of some period of time. Back in 1999 I purchased my first motor home. It was a 1992 Class "C" on a Ford E350 chassis with the 460 gas guzzler engine. It had just over 36,000 mile when I brought it home.

Blew a tire second time I drove it. Had a real bad case of side to side rock. Had to replace the rear springs. Ford had a technical service bulletin, (TSB) to deal with this problem. Since I wasn't the original owner I had to pay. First trip to Florida, belt separation on three rear tires. Replaced all 4 rear in Virginia-merry Christmas Same trip fuel pump failed Fort Pierce Florida, Tow to dealer, rental car. Pump had a design issue. Had to pay for pump, new mounting, gauge sensor. Tank had to be lowered to change pump. A week and $900 later I got to drive it home. My wife's response? We never had to be towed in Fun Bus! Ball Joints. Rear axle noise, oil looked like road tar. Front brakes kept warping rotors.

Just imagine this vehicle with 20 years and 150K on it!

The second issue is the knowledge and experience of service persons. If you need a plumber or electrician for your home there is some licensing, certificate or some method of displaying competency and liability for any company doing this work. For automotive work there is almost nothing. Dealers do have training programs and there are many tech schools/colleges that offer programs. There is even the ASE. But overall most folks in the industry have had little or no formal training. They learn on the job and the focus is usually on getting repairs done quickly. The experience is often limited to when this happens I change that part. When that process doesn't work after two or three attempts things go south quickly and the vehicle than gets blamed for being a problem. Add poor quality of replacement parts or the damage from incorrect installations and you get a real mess. Now let's add the do it yourself crowd and it really becomes surprising that more folks don't get hurt on the roads. Now for the Vanagon not only do we have the repair issues but we also have to deal with all levels of modifications and "upgrades".

So what does this mean? Overall I think the Vanagon can be a very reliable vehicle despite age and mileage. The key if having not only the engine and transmission maintained but also all the support systems. 25 year old wires are bond to break and have connection/voltage drop issues. Still any vehicle can breakdown and the further you are from home, the worse the weather, and the importance of getting home on time will all increase you chances of having a problem. Always have a backup, how to get home plan including an available supply of money. Some folks carry lots of parts. I don't since with my luck you may still need that engine or transmission. I carry some hose tape and clamps, a set of belts, filters, oil, pre-mixed coolant, and tow insurance.

Dennis