Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Mar 2013 23:09:20 -0800
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Canvas Replacement: Remove Upper Bed Help?
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca>

Is that stuff under the aluminum strips the same as what Westfalia used to seal the luggage rack brackets etc. ? I imagine so.

The white caulking at those points was still soft. To be thorough, I removed all the parts, cleaned etc. I thought I'd seen something similar used in marine applications so used this

http://boatlife.com/life-seal/lifeseal-sealant-tubes-3oz.html

I'm sure it'll seal but have to wonder how pliable it will remain.

Didn't know of "dum dum" caulking or was aware there was any caulking at those strips. Thanks.

Neil.

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 10:41 PM, Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca> wrote: > Neil, > > if you can, pick up a roll of "dum-dum" sealing mastic (rv store). The stock stuff under the aluminum extrusions is very good, might still be soft, but best to have a back up. > alistair > > On 2013-03-05, at 5:18 PM, neil n wrote: > >> And on the topic of tips for staple type canvas replacement, there's >> some great looking ideas here: >> >> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=536086&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=sir+sam+upholstery&start=0 >> >> The entire thread is on poptop rehab, but around about page 5, there's >> some staple canvas specific tips. >> >> And this tool happens to be on sale locally >> >> http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/HandTools/MultiTipScrewdrivers/PRD~0588626P/Mastercraft+29-pc+Screwdriver+Set.jsp?locale=en >> >> Not sure if it will be of any use, but will give it a look. >> >> Neil. >> >> On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 8:37 PM, neil n <musomuso@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> >>> Will removing the upper bed make canvas replacement, top still >>> installed, any easier? >>> >>> My canvas has the staples. >> >> >> -- >> Neil n >> >> 65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp >> >> '88 Slate Blue Westy to be named. >> >> '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ >> >> Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group: >> >> http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines >