Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Mar 2013 18:19:39 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Trimming replies on iPhones
Comments: To: JRodgers <jrodgers113@gmail.com>

At 10:01 AM 3/6/2013, JRodgers wrote: >I use Gmail as my primary mail server - but I also have Mozilla >Thunderbird on my computer as my e-mail client software. With it I >can download my e-mail from Gmail, redirect it into folders by >subject, and then reply in the manner in which you describe - in the >message of interest just select the text of interest and click >reply. Only the selected text will be forwarded from the old message >in the new message with the new text.

Yes, that's Thunderbird doing it. You're using gmail the way I do, as a set of servers to talk to remotely. We get our choice of MUA/mail user agent/email client software to do the dirty work and would prefer that gmail stick to simply providing incoming and outgoing servers and be as little helpful as possible. As a certified ancient flatulator, I've been using Eudora since it were a pup, and with two hundred or so filters set up I haven't got any great motive to change, though I hear it's considered very old-fashioned these days. Eudora has worked that way for as long as I can now remember.

However most folks use gmail by way of a web page which pretends to be an MUA, and it's very helpful indeed. As of this week, when you reply to a message using that web page, gmail quotes the entire message you're replying to, vanishes the quoted text under an ellipsis at the bottom left of the composing window, and leaves you with an apparently blank window with a cursor ready for your input above the invisible quoted text. To do any trimming, or to bottom post, you have to click on the pale-shaded "..." at which point everything springs up in fully quoted glory and you can actually get to work. Highlighting text ahead of time is just a waste of electrons.

Yrs, d