Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Mar 2013 15:40:57 -0800
From:         Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1991 digital clock
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Absolutely. Only a fresh, high quality properly sized alternator can deliver the desired 14 to 15 volts that are ideal. It will charge the battery as long as it's over 13 volts at all times. I agree with your last comment, which is why I would have bought a '91 if I could have afforded one! So, I'll do the next best thing and upgrade my '85 over the years and spend even more money!

I'm not sure your comment applies to the Eurovan though. When they reduced the price by over $4000 in 2001 to try to stay in the US market you got a more powerful engine but they had to take out some other things, like quality!

Stuart

From: Scott Daniel - Turbovans [mailto:scottdaniel@turbovans.com] Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 3:15 PM To: Stuart MacMillan Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: 1991 digital clock

I'd say a lot of waterboxer vanaogns are not getting 14 volts to the battery. I'm checking an 85 right now .. it's got 13.8 at the alternator, only 13.4 at the battery.

on m own 85 I added an extra battery cable ...that helped get measured-at-the battery charging voltage closer to the voltage measured at the alternator. VW made the main battery cable bigger in 86 of course ..bad habit of theirs ...upgrade to what it should have been in the first place as the year models progress.