Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Mar 2013 21:29:01 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fw: melting lower thermostat housing
Comments: To: raceingcajun <raceingcajun@COMMUNICOMM.COM>

At 02:04 PM 3/7/2013, raceingcajun wrote: >Hoses, crack and deteriorate from the inside out. And should be replaced >every 2 to 3 years!

Given what a set of hoses for this beast costs, that's never going to happen for...I'm willing to bet more than one or two people on this list, if that. But fortunately those ridiculously expensive hoses are of insanely high quality as well.

The gotcha there is that because of that, you may have a bunch of original hoses in there; so you should be examining the possibility of replacing as many of them as possible. Any hose showing swelling is in the process of failing as its internal cords rupture. I've experienced mostly two types of failure with Vanagon hoses: deterioration/splitting/rotting at the ends, or a 3/8" long rip in the middle of an otherwise normal-looking hose. In fact I had four coolant failures in the first three months after I put my present '89 White Star on the road, three rips and one split/rot. On one occasion a temporary bandage to such a rip (silicone self-fusing tape) left on too long resulted in the hose adjacent to the repair swelling dramatically, but I caught it before it actually burst. I've not felt any cooling hose except the little cloth-covered ones to the bleed manifold show any signs of hardening. Rather, even new Vanagon hoses feel flabby compared to what I'd been accustomed to. My experience is primarily with vehicles that have mostly been in temperate/rust belt climates.

Yours, David