Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Mar 2013 19:35:11 -0800
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 110VAC Wire Re-Routing
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com>

Important points!

Indeed the Westy ground to frame wire is present.

Ironically, in opening up the OEM rear outlet, aside from finding NO way to release the wires from the push-in holes, I noticed that the bare ground wire on the 2 conductor to forward outlet was crimped on to the ground from the breaker. (these were, of course, attached to the bonding strip in the plastic box) Seems to me that Westfalia didn't think anyone would be servicing these parts.

I'm a little aware of our national electrical residential code (which is likely similar to US national code?) but wasn't sure of strapping, etc. as pertains to an RV or motorhome so asked here.

Neil.

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 5:01 PM, Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com> wrote:

> No idea what the Canadian electrical code says, but be sure to use a heavy > ground wire (8 guage stranded is the minimum) from the hookup ground > terminal to the body as well as a 14 guage ground wire to the outlets, and > make sure it's all hooked up securely with proper fittings. You don't want > the van body to be at 120 volts because of a short while you stand barefoot > in a puddle and open the door! > > You want a larger ground wire larger than the service wire so the ground > doesn't burn out first with a short, only the service wire does.

-- Neil n

65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp

'88 Slate Blue Westy to be named.

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group:

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines