Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Mar 2013 06:44:21 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Throttle stop switch? Stumbles on resume throttle..
Comments: cc: "Vanagons and VW Buses (Bays) with VW inline gas engines"
          <vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines@googlegroups.com>

I have a Digifant ignition on a 93 Jetta inline gas powered van.. When I coast down a long grade at higher RPMs (highway speeds) there is often a slight hesitation as I resume pushing on the gas pedal...This hesitation can be more pronounced at high altitude, I think. Recently, at over 8000' elevation I felt an almost "engine off" delay of perhaps a full second when I reached the bottom of a slope and put my foot back on the pedal. If I keep a very slight amount of throttle open, there is no hesitation. Another diagnostic symptom (could be exacerbated by a small crack in my exhaust downpipe) is that rarely, my exhaust will "Pop!" loudly a single time when I drop throttle at lower rpms. This 'delayed throttle response' was particularly un-nerving as I was descending a very slick and windy snow-covered pass recently..."exciting moments" as the engine resumed drive after descending slowly in a lower gear...

I have a switch that looks somewhat thin and flat, with a leaf-spring/bent lever looking prong that is activated by a small post in the linkage near my throttle body. I assume that is the throttle stop switch. It seems to activate (mechanically) properly...it "click" when you just crack the throttle and 're-clicks' when you release the throttle... I can't decipher my 2 Bentlys (Vanagon and Cabriolet) well enough to even figure out which switch I have and how to go about testing it. There seems to be a couple of very different ones used on various Digifant systems. Can someone guide me as to how to test this part? Does anyone have any other ideas as to what might be causing this somewhat troublesome delayed throttle response?

Don Hanson