Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Mar 2013 20:20:33 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Throttle stop switch? Stumbles on resume throttle..
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

---- Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> wrote: > > if you have identical front and rear tires .. > especially if they are 14 inch ones and D load rating , I'd probably > think the handling is pretty bad , like 'choppy' and understeering, > compared to what they can be , in my experience. > > they don't have to change directions on bumps as vanagons do with D load > rating front tires, > thus requiring constant small steering correction .. > and they don't have to be under-steering pigs either, which many of them > are. >

On my 1991 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Campmobile I have 14 inch D rated tires front and rear. I inflate them at 43 psi front, 53 psi rear, as recommended by VW. I am happy with the handling. The camper does not change directions on bumps, it does not require constant small steering corrections. I don't know for sure what you mean by "under-steering pigs," but when I turn the wheel, the van goes where I want it to. Other than the camper, I generally drive small cars noted for handling pretty well. I do not drive sports cars, and performance" has never been a priority with me, but I do want a solid, safe vehicle. Handling has never been a problem with my camper.

David McNeely