Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Mar 2013 12:08:36 -0700
From:         Jeremy Stovin <jjstov@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: '87 Westy - Oil Change, out of hibernation
Comments: To: "mcneely4@cox.net" <mcneely4@cox.net>

Thanks for the insight!   I do not know, really, why they recommend the Marvel Mystery oil. I think it helps clean things out? From: "mcneely4@cox.net" <mcneely4@cox.net> To: Jeremy Stovin <jjstov@YAHOO.COM>; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 8:50 AM Subject: Re: [VANAGON] '87 Westy - Oil Change, out of hibernation Jeremy, I don't know whether you need to change the oil or not.  Some mechanics on here have said that oil in a stored vehicle does not degrade, and any water that accumulates due to condensation will boil off when the engine warms to operating temperature.  So far as the Marvel Mystery Oil, why would you use any oil other than the VW recommended oil (unless you want to spend the money for synthetic, but still within the recommendation guide)?  I'd be interested to know why the Marvel Mystery Oil was recommended. So far as changing the oil, It is pretty simple on Vanagons, because access is easy, especially compared to modern cars.  You can even remove the filter after draining the oil without spilling oil all over bejeesus.  Be sure to have a proper copper washer for the oil plug.  Use a good oil filter -- some are insistent on Manne or Meyle filters, others will use different ones.  I have on occasion used a Bosch filter, and some like the heavy duty Fram filters (but not the standard Frams).  Many refuse to use any Fram filter.  There is a web site (can be found googling, or someone on here can likely provide the url) that gives a detailed analysis of filter quality.  Manne and Meyle filters are inexpensive if ordered from list vendors in quantity, even with shipping cost added. I don't know anyone who uses a torque wrench for the oil plug.  Just tighten it until it feels snug and doesn't leak.  If you over tighten it, it may leak. It's always satisfying to me to change the oil in my Vanagon, with little or no mess and not having to put it on blocks to get under it. I have to put my other cars on blocks (I just drive them onto lengths of 2x6 to get under them), and with the filter placement and the cramped space, I always spill some oil.  Not so with the Vanagon. mcneely ---- Jeremy Stovin <jjstov@YAHOO.COM> wrote: > Hi, still sort of a newbie, so be patient with my simpleton questions.   We bought Lola, our '87 Westy last summer, and in January, covered her up and put her in hibernation for a few months. Just took her out of her long rest and she started up no problem. But, I want to treat her right so I wanted to get some advice on her first days out of hibernation. Oil and coolant levels look good. No puddles underneath. I drove her around the block, and the engine seemed a bit tinny, but that may be normal as I hadn't listened to the engine in a while.   It was recommended that I change the oil, using Marvel Mystery Oil.  Someone else said I should put some Marvel Mystery Oil in now, drive it for a couple of weeks and then change the oil to normal oil. Someone else said I should change the oil with the MMO, then drive for a while and then change the oil again.   What is the general consensus on this?   Other question: I am thinking of changing the oil myself, which I have not done on the van. (not sure if I ever changed the oil myself.) I do understand the basics. Is there anything tricky on a Vanagon I should be aware of? How many people tighten the oil plug without a torque wrench and just "feel it".   I am planning our first BIG trip this July, driving the family from Seattle to San Diego, and want our 5th family member running right.   Anything else recommended we check on?   Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long message. -- David McNeely