Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Mar 2013 16:10:06 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Alliance Deep Cycle? (Grp. 27) Wire To Alternator?
Comments: To: neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

Be careful. Starter solenoids are only designed for short term (30 second) operation. The coil will burn out. Be sure to get one for continuous duty. For a Westy the blue wire for the fridge relay will work although you may need to rev the engine a bit higher than normal to get the alternator kicked in due to the different coil loading the activation-warning light circuit.

Dennis, And I still can't type on this Windows 8 Phone! ________________________________ From: neil n<mailto:musomuso@GMAIL.COM> Sent: ‎3/‎13/‎2013 2:43 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM<mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Subject: Re: Alliance Deep Cycle? (Grp. 27) Wire To Alternator?

Thanks very much Dennis. This is what I had hoped. Had found "double" relay images and now see this "can" type diagram (though for starter) http://www.hqew.net/files/Images/Article/Circuit_Diagram/BasicSolenoidCircuitDiagram_thumb.png I see the two air gaps.

I'll be curious to see how much current this "can" type draws.

Neil.

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: > The can type relays are double break type. What that means is there are two air gaps when they open. Arc suppression and better chance of the circuit opening. > > Dennis, > And I still can't type on this Windows 8 Phone! > ________________________________ > From: neil n<mailto:musomuso@gmail.com> > Sent: 3/13/2013 1:28 PM > To: Dennis Haynes<mailto:d23haynes57@hotmail.com> > Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM<mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> > Subject: Re: Alliance Deep Cycle? (Grp. 27) Wire To Alternator? > > Way cool re: Alliance. Much less $ than a Trojan SCS150 > http://www.trojanbattery.com/Products/SCS15012V.aspx > > I'll google "double break relay". Would a "can" type solenoid isolator > suffice instead? They were on sale at Princess Auto. ;^) > I will fuse charge line and load line to fridge. > > The existing driver side aux. battery solenoid "can" type isolator is > actuated by the alternator blue wire (D+) > > Easy to measure the "can" isolator current draw, but blue wire gauge > aside, will the (presumably) higher current demands of 2 "can" type > battery isolators etc. adversely affect the alternator regulator? > > Thanks > > Neil. > > On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 5:21 AM, Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@hotmail.com> wrote: > >> The Alliance brand is reasonably priced even at the Freightliner dealer. BTW >> an 8 gauge charge line is ideal. Use a good size double break relay and be >> sure to control it so the relay is not closed while cranking the engine. >> Otherwise that line will see some starter current. Consider some type of >> over current protection. You have power on both sides. I like fusible links. >> Cheap and easy. >> >> Dennis, >> And I still can't type on this Windows 8 Phone! >> ________________________________ >> From: neil n >> Sent: 3/13/2013 1:46 AM >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> Subject: Re: Alliance Deep Cycle? (Grp. 27) Wire To Alternator? > > >> At $125.96 Cnd. for a group 27, I have to wonder if it's the same >> battery as the Alliance you write of. > > > > -- > Neil n > > 65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp > > '88 Slate Blue Westy to be named. > > '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ > > Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group: > > http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines