Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Mar 2013 09:31:59 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Fwd: '87 Westy - Oil Change, out of hibernation
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

---- Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> wrote: > > > Yet another case where an OP gauge is a good thing to hvae > .......................... once in a while I read about an engine ( last > one was a VW diesel in a vanagon ) with astuck OPrelief piston, and OP > was too high cold, and without the OP gauge you wouldn't know it. > Probably one of the most important engine-preserving............ after > coolant temp........... cockpit indications there is.

So, what is "too much" oil pressure in a waterboxer? mcneely

> > Lot better than running a high miles 2.1 waterboxer on 10W40 in the > summer and having the oil pressure buzzer go off. > We read about that too on here. > > 'type of use' matters a lot. Very high mile engine ( just heard about a > 2.1 with 275Kon it today ) ....around town ..and local use , no big > deal. Take that same engine and van on a big trip , with big load, and > summer temps ....watch out. > > On 3/13/2013 9:51 PM, Dennis Haynes wrote: > > You would be amazed the engine damage that can occur from the wrong oil viscosity in cold weather. Even on non VWs. Modern engines can usually start no matter what now. Have oil that is too thick and all sorts of stuff happens. My favorite is crank and cam seals actually getting pushed out. Hondas and Toyotas. BTDT. > > > > Dennis > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of Scott Daniel - Turbovans > > Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:29 PM > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Re: Fwd: '87 Westy - Oil Change, out of hibernation > > > > Well, obviously waterboxer engines with not that many miles on them are not highmilage wbxr engines. > > There are a lot of those around. > > Possibly dozens sold across the country every day. > > > > I think the bottom line is .. > > if it's a milesengine,or temps are high, 20W50 or 15W50. > > > > Straight weight oils are rarely used these days. VW wrote that over 20 yrs ago in the owners manual. > > Engine oils have come a long way since then. > > > > Indiesels I'll use a 15W40 .. > > I might use that weight in a high miles wbxr engine in cooler temps. > > > > IMO how the oil is, and what the oil pressure is fully warmed up and high ambient temps is more important than how thin and well-flowing the oil is when cold. > > Though that runs counter to what many people recommend or believe. > > > > The higher the miles are, the more worn and loose the engine is, the less it matters to have a low first number multi-weight oil ..down to reasaonbly cold temps ..say 20's at the lowest. > > Like a 10W40 is plenty thin enough cold at temps not too serverely cold , and 150K miles on the engine say. > > > > with summer coming .. > > if a wbxr engine has say 100K plus miles, 15W50 and 20W50 are fine. > > > > depends on the engine or who and how they built it too, it the case of oil choice. > > Ona 2.2 new wbxr from Chris Corken ...he was pretty adamant about 10W40 for a break-in oil... > > worked out just fine. > > On another 2.1 rebult from AVP shortly after that, I put 10W40 in .. > > that engine didn't like it. I could see flickering oil light fully warmed up. > > I check with AVP and they say .. > > either 30W or 20W50 ...that's what we use in our VW engines, so out the > > 10W40 went. > > That engine's been running on 20W50 since new for 2 yrs now. Seems just fine. > > > > the higher the miles on a wbx engine.. > > the more usefulit is have an oil pressure gauge too. > > > > sdf > > > > > > On 3/13/2013 3:40 PM, Dave Mcneely wrote: > >> ---- OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@COMCAST.NET> wrote: > >>>> Dennis Haynes wrote: > >>>>> The *w-50 gives that viscosity edge the water boxer needs. > >> OleRiverRat wrote: > >> > >>>> I guess if you are talking about a really high milage H2OBxr > >>>> that has not been well maintained that is probably true ~ otherwise > >>>> I have not seen any info that would cause me to lean toward that > >>>> philosophy. > >>>> > >>>> > >>>> ORR ~ Dean > >> How about the VW Vanagon factory owner's manual? That is the viscosity recommended there for all except extreme temperatures on either end. At the high end it recommends straight 40 weight, at the low end a lighter oil, I do not remember specifically, but maybe 10 or 20 weight. > >> > >> What waterboxer engines are not high mileage? After all, the newest one around is 22 years old. > >> David McNeely > >>

-- David McNeely