Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Mar 2013 08:28:30 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      LED/HID lighting questions

Maybe this is partially Friday stuff..but it applies to Vanagons, too.

What is the electrical current savings in swapping to a more modern lighting system for headlights? And what is LED vs HID vs Projector beams? Anyone want to give a short tutorial on this? I have Googled around but being an electrical Dunce, I am not really getting it.

The Vanagon specific part....

In my 84 Vanagon, I've been swapped to the euro-spec (Halogen?) lighting available from our List vendors and I do like the improvement, but I have a big fat "hole" in the way my headlights aim....They will not adjust to a good compromise between high and low aim....If I aim them so the low beams are useful, not pointing about 20ft out....then the high beam aims about 3 miles down the highway.and leave it dark in front of the van...If I aim the high beams properly, the low beams only illuminate the road to about 20'..I've got them aimed, now, at the best compromise, but it is not good enough for me anymore.... So I am again looking for better headlights, as I do a lot of night driving in mountains and wildlife areas....I'm seeing many cars around me with waaaay better lights....

The Non-Vanagon part...and general questions

I have a 2000--sie motorcycle with dual headlights...As required by most states, the headlights stay on when the bike is running. I think these stock lights are Halogen bulbs...and the lights operate with one low beam on all the time, switch on the high beam and the second headlight comes on. Again, I think there are more effective lights on the newer bikes. A second issue is that my reserve of battery power seems a bit slim, what with the headlights coming on as soon as I turn on the ignition, then staying on during cranking, etc....I have my charging system and my new battery up to the factory specs. So do LED or HID lights take draw less current? And the question from my second sentence...I see kits available to change over, for pretty reasonable money and with a year guarantee...I wouldn't mind more light with a lower current draw, if that is possible.... While I am not a huge fan of the super bright blue tinged lights a lot of the "Kiddie Tuners" seem to favor, I really hate the though of hitting a deer or elk at speed, either in my Vanagon or on my Honda sportbike...Cranking the moto over from it's tiny little battery with that big headlight shining.....that doesn't seem like it is very effective. And yes, I could probably put in a second headlight switch or some sort of relay, but I would probably forget and drive off with the headlight NOT on....and the Police, they simply love us on Sportbikes!

anyone know this stuff or have a good link to share? Thanks, Don Hanson