Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Mar 2013 21:16:51 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Worst of all Vanagon Jobs
Comments: To: Mark Tuovinen <aksyncronaut@GMAIL.COM>

I'll take that offer any time. All you do is lower the rear of the engine ( 4 bolts on the end of the mustache bar )about 6 inches, watching hoses , wires, and cable for tension. Then the starter is very easy to access and remove .. after getting the diff lock actuator off of course. ..which is not 'that bad' . scott www.turbovans.com

One thing that can make vanagons a lot harder to work on is not having a good flat surface with a roof over it .. a floor jack or two, and 4 big solid heavy duty jack stands. You have those ....then you can get at stuff nicely. There's a lot that has to be done from underneath or with wheels off the ground. I don't understand how people can even begin to take care of or work on their vanagon if they can't get it nicely off the ground. The syncro starter sure falls under that.

On 3/7/2013 8:16 PM, Mark Tuovinen wrote: > Next time you need a front heater blower replaced I will gladly do it for > you and all you have to do in return is the starter on my syncro when it > fails. I probably just jinxed myself on that on. Lol > > Mark in AK > `87 Westy Syncro > > On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 2:09 PM, Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@frontier.com>wrote: > >> My worse night mare might be the front heater blower assembly. >> I have pulled a few out of vanagons that I have parted out and its a >> PITA just to get it out. Mine has been fine and I keep a few spares >> but Man I hope I never go down that road. >> Worse one in the past year has been R/R the fuel lines over the Gas >> tank, Wait that one was within the past 8 Hours. Stinks big time to >> get all the crap out of the way and empty the tank of fuel then pull >> the main filler neck, It would REALLY Stink If you had to do it on >> the ground or on jack stands. I Have a lift so it is a bit easier, I >> know I am a Puss! But I saved my pennies and got it years ago. >> Just got to put the tank back it and ready to go! >> >> All in good fun! >> Jonce >> >> Rear heater is nothing. >>> I nominate changing out the pedal assembly. Or even worse ..adjusting >>> the push rod length for the clutch master cylinder. >>> >>> It's very important IMO to have the rear heater valve on at least >>> partially all year long. >>> Keeping fresh coolant circulating through the rear heater helps prolong >>> its life . >>> >>> I was just reading somewhere where they said to pre-mix anti-frz and >>> water before pouring in the mix .. >>> rather than add say 1/2 gal a-frz followed by 1/2 gal water to get a >>> 50/50 mix. >>> I have not found that ever to be an issue .. >>> and it would not be for a rear heater core if the valve is kept at least >>> partially open at all times. , all year round. >>> >>> re rear seat .. >>> inconveniently VW made the plastic ( maybe it's fiberglass ) cover for >>> the rear heater on GL models so it's captured by the bar going across on >>> a Z Bed rear seat. You only have to remove that once .. >>> then you just cut away a little bit of that cover on the bottom >>> ,,,,,,,,,,,,,from then on the cover comes right off. >>> I've had someone tell me that you can cut out that round bar going >>> across there too .. >>> and the Z bed rear seat still works just fine. >>> >>> wow..I have not found rear seats to be dangerous in any way. >>> R & R many syncro transmissions ? ....they're lots of fun. >>> >>> I have about 6 rear heater assemblies in my used parts stash. >>> >>> stay cozy ! >>> scott >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> On 3/3/2013 1:08 PM, Jim Felder wrote: >>> >>>> All the above. But, before you tear into that >>>> nearly-worst-of-all-Vanagon-**jobs, check out the valve. There is an >>>> o-ring >>>> under that can leak. Also, when people carelessly put in coolant water >>>> without mixing it, the water can collect in the out-of-the-way heater and >>>> freeze, popping open the housing at the valve. >>>> >>>> The valve itself also can leak. There is not much in replacing any of it, >>>> the hard part is getting to it because of the rear seat. You can get hurt >>>> about as badly on that as the transmission falling on you. Be careful. >>>> >>>> I do not have a valve or any of that, but I do have the housing, blower >>>> and >>>> a good core. >>>> >>>> Jim >>>> >>>> On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Finn Runyon <finnrunyon@gmail.com> >>>> wrote: >>>> >>>> Our van is nearly ready to hit the road after a year's work to rebuild >>>>> the >>>>> engine. I bought this one with a blown engine. The rear heater os >>>>> leaking, and I am wondering if the valve tends to leak, the O ring, the >>>>> core? If there is a most common failure I will do that or do generally >>>>> rebuild the whole unit? The valve defiantly is leaking. >>>>> Thanks, >>>>> Finn Runyon >>>>> 87 Westy Roo >>>>> 89 Westy Pooh >>>>> 12 GTI Autobahn >>>>>