Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 17 Mar 2013 11:57:56 -0700
From:         neil n <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Adjust Rear Bed? (and rear seat re-foam pics)
Comments: To: Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca>

Thanks Alistair. You're too kind!

The job has some flaws, but hopefully, all the corners will "stay put". Real world test imminent.

re: metal braces at seat bottom. I'll check my '88. None are present on my '81 .... unless I"m misunderstanding what you meant.

Your insights are much appreciated. My latch mechanism is done. i.e I never knew a Westy had this feature until it kind of worked one day. One day. ;) I won't bother trying to re-do that part.

I'm loath to unscrew the bed again, but will if need be. And re: threaded plate metal under foam on backrest. Those holes seem like something that could easily be stripped. One image intended to show brand of recent tool purchase Pro.Point Bought this for an upcoming canvas replacement but was useful for the back rest bolts. As you know, a 1/4" drive + socket + bit works, but the Pro.Point type tool is a lower profile, has ratchet + handle twist feature, and bit holder is sufficiently magnetic.

Neil.

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 11:21 AM, Alistair Bell <albell@shaw.ca> wrote: > Neil, > > that is a very nice job, well done. My rear bed needs the same treatment, your work certainly will help me figure out what to do. > > I've examined the folding mechanism (when I had the bench in parts), and I could not see any easy adjustment of the hinges themselves. I do think that the various metal-to-metal rubbing spots wear a bit and makes the hinges a little loose. I gave re-peaning the hinges a bit of a try, no real luck. The little spring loaded catch was slightly bent (and worn), I tried to straighten that up. All in all the hinge mechanism felt more sloppy than I think it should. > > Note: I did all this mucking around with bench and bed in workshop, so it was easier to get at things etc. > > Off hand I can't think of why your bed is misaligned. One thing I noticed and took some time to fix, was some of the machine screws that hold the seat bottom and the seat back to the frame do not hold well. They are machine screws, not woodscrews. They engage into metal on the foam side of the plywood. > > On second thought, one possible source of misalignment might be hinge to side plywood bolts. Just a wag though. > > cheers and good luck > > alistair > > PS I seem to recall that there are some differences in bed mechanism over the years. One thing is the presence of metal braces on the seat bottom that when the bed is deployed, rest on the top surface of storage frame. But my memory is hazy on this.

-- Neil n

65 kb image Myford Ready For Assembly http://tinyurl.com/64sx4rp

'88 Slate Blue Westy to be named.

'81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco" http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

Vanagon VAG Gas I4/VR Swap Google Group:

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines