Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Mar 2013 14:31:10 -0400
From:         Karl <tdiguru@WESTYVENTURES.COM>
Subject:      Re: Aux Battery Suggestions for under Drivers seat
Comments: To: Varotto Hugo <hugovanagon@gmail.com>

They are the same length and width as the originals, but deeper. I cut out most of but not all the original box, and the new one slips inside the opening left. The only things holding them in place are the angle flange in front and the rear lip held down by the rivets through the hinges of the folding lids. Liberal application of 3M seam sealer around all edges underneath. The tires would rub just the corner with stock springs, but with the Trailmaster suspension there is no more problem. The boxes were much simpler to do in this van because it didn't have factory seat swivels, but I did bolt in a set.

Karl

On 3/21/2013 2:14 PM, Varotto Hugo wrote: > Karl, > > That looks like a great idea! Am I correct in understanding that the boxes are just longer/deeper? > > Are there any side consequences? Do the tires rub or do you need to use special shocks/springs? > > Also,looks like you mounted them from above, do they slide within the original box or completely replace it? > > Last question, are the boxes welded in place or riveted? > > Thanks in advance! > > Hugo > > On Mar 20, 2013, at 8:06 PM, Karl Mullendore <tdiguru@WESTYVENTURES.COM> wrote: > >> On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 21:53:33 -0600, Richard A Jones <Jones@COLORADO.EDU> wrote: >> >> >>> I believe Karl Mullendore figured out that the max amp-hours you could >>> fit under the driver seat was to put 4 UB12220 batteries there. I can't >>> find anything on his site now--he's moved on to bigger things under >>> other places. (westyventures.com) >>> >>> Here's a pix of the setup--4x22 amp/hour batteries: >>> http://jones.colorado.edu/VW/UB12220.jpg >>> >>> Hmmm.... I wonder what he has under his driver seat now? >>> >>> Richard >> >> Actually, I never installed a set of those in my own van (only in a couple >> customer vans), since I had one Interstate MTP-91 under each front seat and >> a 4D under the rear seat. But that was my 'old' Syncro, now rusted to >> pieces. :-( >> In the 'new' Syncro I cut out the original battery boxes and fabricated new >> boxes 2-1/4" deeper, allowing the use of group 27 100-ah Lifeline AGM >> deep-cycle batteries, some of the best on the market - at $270 each. These >> are connected in parallel so basically one large 200-amp-hour battery. Since >> the TDI fires up a a touch of the key, I don't worry about a separate >> starting battery. No relays or separators needed, really simplifying things. >> I did add a Victron battery monitor gauge which helps tremendously in >> keeping track of usage and remaining capacity. Details and photos here: >> http://www.westyventures.com/rigs.html >> >> Karl >> Westy Ventures >> Propex USA >