Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2013, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Mar 2013 11:06:37 -0400
From:         "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Bought another Vanagon...

I have known list member Scott Grillo for probably almost 14 years. His first Vanagon died in a car crash. His second, a 1991 Blue Carat, was fading mechanically, but in good condition body and interior wise. He thought of me when it came time to move on to a late model Eurovan MV. We bought the van last week and had it transported back to our shop here in NJ from Scott's home in Lancaster, PA. Scott is a great guy and I hope to be able to keep in touch with him as time goes forward. The van is so nice I am going to be mechanically restoring it and using it as my new daily driver. My old 90 Carat is heading down to Belize to be the new daily driver of a friend of mine who needs something he can live/work out of. The cool part is this "new" van is almost identical to my van that I am replacing it with, just way less rusty and the interior wasn't abused.

When we were up in the Lancaster, PA area, I might have seen a couple of you. I saw a white 90 or 91 GL pass me at one point and then another guy who had an 84-85 with a fancy green/blue paint job, I actually passed twice near the Mall. It was good to see other owners on the road as I have seen less of them on the road as of late. They all seem to wind up here at some point. I have worked on so many down through the years, that when new people come in and bring their vans, I start looking at how the previous repair work was done to see if I was the person who actually worked on the van with a previous owner.

Another long time customer Doug Letterman, who lives in Cape May, was diagnosed with ALS about six months ago. He has two nice Westies, a white 85 and a maroon 90 MV. He bought a Tiguan (look up how they got that name), and wants to sell both vans just because he is losing mobility and can't enjoy them anymore. It is sad for me because I have been his friend/mechanic for over 10 years now. However we just helped him sell his MV to a young man who has big plans for it. The torch is passed to yet another excited Vanagon owner yearning for adventure!

Enjoy the journey. The destination may be great but the things and people you meet along the way are just as important!

Sincerely, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com