Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Mar 2013 09:44:10 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Beyond Vanagon
Comments: To: OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@COMCAST.NET>

Everything is a compromise, except motor homing is not. It is taking the house with you, no compromise at all. mcneely

---- OlRivrRat <OlRivrRat@COMCAST.NET> wrote: > I can buy into that ~ I have DownSized my Westy ~ I have no Kitchen ~ > I like to cook & eat outdoors ~ I have no closet, I keep the extra > clothes I take along in a duffle that I use as a pillow ~ My Westy > does have PowerWindows which are the extent of my AirConditioning. > We really should own up to the fact, though, that what we do in our > Westys&TinTops is not considered to be "Camping" by a lot of folks so > we should be careful about the degree of judgement we cast in the > direction of the MotorHomeCroud. While I never ever see myself as > wanting to partake in that lifestyle, what we all do is what I refer > to as "CarCamping" (& I do enjoy it for what it avails) ~ the M'H'C's > just do it considerably more extravagantly & a bit more out of touch > with the outdoors then we do. > Real camping, to me, is sleeping on the ground by a smoldering > CampFire with the SingingWaters of a RiverRapids a few feet away but > what my Westy provides in todays world is a means for me to get away, > quickly, into the wilderness, to some place where I can fall asleep to > the sounds Owls & Coyotes &or Elk & wake up with a > MorningStretch&BreathOfFreshAir in the GreatOutDoors. > I had a TShirt made up many years ago, long before my 1st Westy, when > the only camping I did was via BackPack or Canoe or Raft (which is > still what I prefer) it read "I love roughin it as long as I'm > comfortable" ~ comfort of course is subjective ~ Long Live our VWVans > ~ please! > > ORR ~ DeanB > > On 24 Mar , 2013, at 10:00 PM, bernie wrote: > > > "But I mean, the main thing, Wally, is that I think that kind of > > comfort > > just separates you from reality in a very direct way." > > > > Quote from Dinner With Andre > > > > Perhaps that is the beauty of the vanagon. When it's cold outside we > > feel > > it. When it's hot on the road we feel it. We are in touch with > > reality in a very real way. > > Who needs heat? > > Who needs a working fridge? > > Who needs air conditioning? > > Let us embrace the vanagon reality. > > While at a VW campout last weekend a couple gave me the tour of > > their new > > motorhome. It had 3 huge TV's in it! They hardly spent anytime > > outside of their RV. > > No thanks. > > > > Bernie > > Vancouver BC

-- David McNeely