Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Mar 2013 20:44:57 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: this past weekend trip report
Comments: To: J Stewart <fonman4277@comcast.net>

I can understand and sympathize. I am fortunate that my wife likes the kind of trips we end up having, these logging road explorations for instance. When I sit down with the photos and write the quick notes for the blog post I can't help but think that the trips end up seeming strange. They are more than just bashing over (this last time very rough) logging roads and ending up camped in a logged area. No, really, they are :)

We both share the idea that finding a spot that has an outlook, a view, is nicer. Even if that does mean being perched at the end of a logging spur*. We find great vistas, and are completely alone. A surprising amount of wildlife is still around, birds, small mammals, deer, wolves, bear, and cougar. The latter we never see, and having 2 large dogs (small dogs are cougar bait) we probably won't see. My wildlife fear are wolves. Not for myself, but the dogs. I've seen a lot of wolves when hiking without dogs and have not had a problem, but I have this worry about coming across them with our dogs. As a further aside, the wolf population on Vancouver Island really goes up and down (classic example of predator-prey relationship) and currently the population on the southern part of the island is just coming out of a low (I think).

Solo trips have their own rewards too. You don't have those nagging thoughts about destinations and road conditions. My wife does have a little anxiety when we drive up some of the rough and steep roads, the ones that have extreme penalties for mis-judgement (you know the kind). She doesn't say much, just goes quiet and tense :)

She is also not the type that likes motorhome type travel (and I'm not dissing that mode, believe me).

cheers

alistair

* I keep using that term without explaining. A spur is usually a dead end road used as an access to a cut block (and setting up a high line down to a parallel spur below). On 2013-03-25, at 6:35 PM, J Stewart wrote: