Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Mar 2013 19:18:30 -0500
From:         Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@COX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Beyond Vanagon
Comments: To: Ian Allan <ian.allan@BMTS.COM>

Ian, you stated why I have a VW camper, except for the drive it everyday part. I don't do that, it burns too much fuel. The earth is finite, and I feel responsible for not taking up more than my share (though as Alistair has pointed out I am not perfect in adhering to that principle, I do try).

Oh, I don't have a porta potti, either. I use a bucket with biodegradable plastic bags and poo powder. If you ever try it, you will find it is simpler to deal with than a porta potti. The powder is sodium polyacrylate, a non-toxic material also used in diapers. Regular solid waste disposal of the bag and contents is legal and safe.

mcneely

---- Ian Allan <ian.allan@BMTS.COM> wrote: > I like to camp and believe me where I live ( the Bruce Peninsula in Ontario ) the camping opportunities are top notch. But mostly I love my Westy because I can drive it everyday, I can drive it anywhere in North America, I can stop for a nap, pee in the Porta Potti, cook lunch at the drop of a hat and keep the beer cold. I have a daughter who is a serious hiker/camper. She loves the Westy as there is no "setup time." You stop, cook, sleep. Actually with more than one driver you don't even have to stop. Jim Akiba (Bostig) has provided me with a power plant that has given me psychological comfort to travel beyond CAA range and enabled me to add 100,000 km. to the history of my '85. Every now and again (this is one time) I find myself looking at Sprinter ads. I need to give my head a shake. I can fix most issues Vanagon with my hand tools. I can speak to Jim if I need to. I can park in normal spaces. And I can pee in my Porta Potti Yet, somehow I see a Sprinter or Transit or the Dodge/Fiat thing as some kind of survival reward. > > One thing for sure though. There will always be a Vanagon Westfalia in this family. > > Ian Allan > > > 85 Westfalia/Bostig > 84 Westfalia > 02 Jetta 1.8t > > >

-- David McNeely