Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Mar 2013 14:34:49 -0400
From:         "kenneth wilford (Van-Again)" <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Cv boots cracking
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@gmail.com>

We used to be able to get the GKN/Lobro aftermarket boots for the rears and when we did, you could look around the edge and see the VW/Audi logo that was just under the edge of the metal base of the boot. When I did this occasionally I would get someone who had a similar problem as Craig. They would tell me that they installed the boots and they only lasted a couple of years. Then other folks would never really have an issue with them. I am not sure if there is an installation issue that could cause the boots to prematurely fail? I wouldn't think they would dry rot and crack unless the rubber itself had just failed because of the quality of it, but I am not a rubber expert. Any one have an idea of why this would happen to some and not happen to others? Right now we have either Rein (which I haven't been getting any complaint on) or Meyle. Of the two I would rather use the Rein brand as they seem to be a higher quality brand and are made in Italy. The Meyle brand is usually made in China or India.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com