Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 Mar 2013 08:27:23 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Beyond Vanagon-Keeping older vehicles!
Comments: To: Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>

With proper care almost any vehicle can be kept "forever". The key is cost effectiveness. At some point you also have to consider obsolescence. The Vanagon is unique in its size and functional capabilities but was already obsolete as they were even being introduced. Let's face some facts. They couldn't sell these things to the general public then. I purchased my Syncro Westy in February 1988. It was sitting on the dealer's lot since September 1987. They dropped the price $6K and helped me finance it. They were really anxious to see it go.

One has to really consider the total cost of ownership on both a cost per mile and cost per year especially with labor rates pushing $100/hr plus. While an engine or transmission replacement may not justify replacing a vehicle either of these repairs is often just a beginning. With today's low interest rates many vehicles can be had for reasonable monthly costs. Foe those that want/need to go the RV camping route the interest on those loans is even tax deductible. A $3,000 transmission-clutch job is really $300/month for a year. More if you have to use a credit card to pay for it. Next there will be that engine work, water pump, suspension, etc. This is why many people lease. Bring it home, use it and return it before that first major repair. Heck, let it go before it even needs tires or brakes.

In our group the survivors are those that learn to do most work on their own or partner with a mechanic-shop willing to work cheap. We don't even want to pay normal prices for our parts. Unfortunately most of the quality OEM parts are becoming nonexistent because no one wanted to pay for them. Original exhaust and rear brakes shoes are just 2 examples.

As for obsolescence, our vehicles make more pollution then most, have few passive safety systems, and awful heating/ventilation/air conditioning systems. Most all have been modified in some way.

As for me, I am addicted. Even though I have an RV, FUN BUS is going no where. It has been at my brother's place for over a year for Body and paint work. It is looking real good. I am upgrading the tires/wheels again. Adding the front big brake kit. When it comes home I will be repairing the tranny again(4th time) and rebuilding the suspension. I expect that after all this the engine has to say no more but I will try to push it to at least 275K and if still going maybe 300K. It also needs the front engine pipe and a muffler. VW will be supplying the muffler under their lifetime warranty. Oh and the viscous coupling has seen better days. Last time I drove it in snow there was very little push to the front wheels.

I won't even start talking about the 87 passenger Syncro.

Dennis