Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 Mar 2013 10:27:05 -0800
From:         Troy <colorworks@GCI.NET>
Subject:      Beyond Vanagon
Comments: To: dhanson928@GMAIL.COM

<<That being said, I'd like one of those Nissans..I have owned that brand in the past and they are dead-nuts dependable. I've see some older Canadian diesel ones I like and the newer 1/2 ton(?) ones I see more of lately look a lot more appropriate for an everyday driver than the big sprinter ones...Since I am just a worker, I haven't looked seriously at what is really offered ....>>

Interesting comments from both you and Frank. I suspect there's always going to be people who would rather restore an older vehicle then have something new. I'm amazed how many comments and interest I get in my old 89 Vanagon. People just smile as they have that certain "cool" factor or some kind of nostalgia attached to em. It seems like to get rid of them is to somehow get rid of something that's part of American history, despite the German build. I feel that mine is getting close to reliable, but then I start thinking about the miles of wiring and wonder when I'm going to have some electrical nightmare, relys going out or something want to make me run to some other vehicle. I still need to completely gut mine, do soundproofing and insulating, and of course I can always redo all the door panels and upholstery, upgrade the tent, well, always something more to do, and that's kind of the fun part too.

As to newer vehicles, one that has my interest is the Ford transit. These are going to come in a variety of wheel basis, and I believe three different heights with the option of a TDI. These are due out this fall. These have a really long history in Europe, and tons of people have converted them to camper vans. I certainly don't think a person would have to spend $85,000 to make a camper out of one. I would think about $3-$4000 and you could have a very nicely equipped camper van with all the modern safety features. It seems like during my generation at least (I'm 51) that 100,000 miles was considered the life of a vehicle. Nowadays, it seems like most new cars can get 100,000 without any problem at all, even inexpensive vehicles like Kia's have the 10 year 100,000 mile warranties. Probably would be pretty boring to have a newer vehicle. Of course, you could then this concentrate on enjoying road trips and restore vanagons for fun.

I'm ready for some camping trips regardless of the vehicle at this point. Despite spring starting, we are still quite cold in Alaska here with a good foot of snow on the ground.

Troy