Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2013, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Mar 2013 14:31:16 -0500
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: I'm a newbie
Comments: To: Rocky Davis <rock1256@YAHOO.COM>

Welcome aboard, Rocky!!

Since the vehicle is unknown to you - the first thing you want to do is replace ALL the fuel hose in the engine bay, from the firewall to the rear of the vehicle. These rigs are notorious for catching on fire back there and the only way to ensure your vehicles safety is to replace those fuel lines immediately. The fuel pump supplies 30 pounds of pressure to the fuel injectors and just a pin-hole in a hose can spray ungodly amounts of fuel all over the engine. Hose kits from some of our Vanagon List vendors runs around $65. Cheap insurance. Hose replacement is easy. Another place to look to replace fuel hose cannot readily be seen, but where the fuel line passes through the firewall near the right front side of the engine bay, there is a fitting that the fuel hose connects too. On the front side of that fitting - hard to see - is a short piece of rubber hose connecting the fitting to the main hard fuel line from the fuel pump. That piece of hose is notorious for rotting and leaking - and it's right near the starter - bad news where there is electric arc-n-spark potential. Many people remove the fitting and connect the replacement rubber fuel line directly to the hard fuel line. Eliminates problems with that plastic fuel fitting.

Don't mean to scare you to death - but for the safety of your van this is something that you need to do.

Good luck - and once again - Welcome aboard!

John Rodgers

On 3/24/2013 1:30 PM, Rocky Davis wrote: > I bought an 84 westy last year and I really don't know too much. Never have had a VW before. Was wondering if there was someone close to me that could look at my westy and maybe explain how to work some of the equipment and maybe show some things I should work on. I'm in north Orange County California. Thanks for all your post I have learned a little. > Rock > > Sent from my iPhone >