Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2013, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Mar 2013 21:44:20 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <d23haynes57@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Brake dust on alloy wheel ?
Comments: To: David M <covrambles@YAHOO.COM>

As others have noted the wheel needs to come off, the cap installed, and the wheel and cap re-installed together. Now to be sure were are talking about the rear! The rear brakes make little dust and what dust that does escape will come out the back of the drum. Dust also wipes off unless left on long enough for the corrosive effects to damage the finish.

The staining is more likely due to grease or maybe even brake fluid. Take a good look at the axle nut. Is it wet? If so that is your problem. The grease is working it's way out of the bearings due to combination of being over greased or it is breaking down. Worse though if it is working out from between the nut and the hub that is an indication the hub-nut assembly is loose of the face of the hub is worn allowing the space for the grease-oil to work out. This needs to be addressed as a loose hub will eventually cause other problems including the spline failure leaving you stranded.

Now for cleaning the wheel there a number of wheel cleaners that work very well. Auto cleaner-waxes also work very well. Keeping the wheels waxed make future cleaning real easy.

Dennis