Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Apr 2013 09:01:31 -0500
From:         JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Brake Caliper Torque - 200 ft/lbs??
Comments: To: mark drillock <mdrillock@COX.NET>

Thanks for the input, Volks!

My final solution - managed to get 150 ft/lbs with a torque wrench. Then I managed to get a cheater bar extension and made another 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Unable to know for certain what that torque value was, but I'm going to let it go at that and call it close enough. I hope it holds. Would hate to lose a caliper going down the road!!!

Thanks again!

John

On 4/2/2013 7:17 PM, mark drillock wrote: > The torque of the large caliper bolts depends on the year. The 86+ brake > caliper uses MUCH larger bolts and has a much higher torque setting. > > The back cover of the Bentley says: > 1980-85 115 ft-lb > from 1986 200 ft-lb > > Mark > > Dan Andrews wrote: >> John, >> >> The Haynes manual gives Brake caliper to steering knuckle torque as >> 160Nm (118lbf ft) >> >> Dan >> >> Sent from my iPhone >> >> On 03/04/2013, at 8:19 AM, JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >> >>> Just finished up installing new front wheel bearings and noted that >>> Bentley calls for 200 ft/lbs of torque on the caliper bolts. I have >>> found one that goes to 180 and the rest go to 150. How the devil do you >>> get that torque value?? >>> > . >