Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Apr 2013 19:37:59 -0500
From:         Rob <vwrobb@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: it just stops! What do I do? - was Spare Fuel Pump Saves the
              Day

The engine just dies... John Muir had instructions in his book (is it out of gas? Go check) but I suspect many here have not even heard of (this) Mr Muir. What about the person out there who doesn't know their way around the waterboxer? Is there any hope for them besides cell phone reception? Let's say they invest in these spare parts & a Bentley what can they do besides hand them to a mechanic after they have been towed in?

Is there any chance of coming up with a list of things to do, specific things so someone might be able to pull them self out of this jam? Sort of an Engine stops or will not start list...

In this case the fuel pump it didn't make any noise & David knew to listen for that, then it did & then it didn't. There he had something to fix and the part to fix it with! If it hadn't made noise I'd have pulled out the meter to check for voltage & a ground on the wires at the pump...

Maybe this is just not something that can be done in a list, maybe it's already been done on The Samba?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Rob vwrobb@gmail.com

At 4/3/2013 04:44 PM, david hardy wrote: >Just wanted to pass along a little advice to anyone doing long trips >to remote places in a >Vanagon...Last week we were about halfway through a 1200 mile trip >through Colorado and Utah - >just south of Natural Bridges National Monument on Rt 261, to be >exact. The Westy was running >great, not even a hiccup...when it suddenly wouldn't accelerate. I >just couldn't get the engine >to rev. Coasted to a turn-off - middle of nowhere, of course - where >it just died. I know my way >around the wasserboxer pretty well,

At 4/4/2013 12:36 PM,Dan N wrote: >>since we talk about carrying spare parts, here's my list. Most of them are old ones saved over as spare, for my van or help out a fellow on the road... I put a print out of this list in the glove box.

- fuel pump - coil - dist cap and rotor - spark plugs wire set - spark plugs - ECU - AFM - set of 3 belts - ignition switch - assorted fuses - fuel line and assorted clamps - accelerator cable - fuel filter - oil filter - spare keys - temp2 sender - thermostat

I plan to add: a Hall sender alternator brushes <<

What about the person out there who doesn't know their way around the waterboxer? Is there any hope for them besides cell phone reception? The engine just dies... John Muir had instructions in his book (is it out of gas? Go check) but I suspect many here have not even heard of (this) Mr Muir.