Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Apr 2013 18:39:54 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Radiator and Hoses question
Comments: To: Jonce Fancher <streetbugs@FRONTIER.COM>

If a stock 83 or later vanagon radiator is pretty old ... ( and all I have seen them do is fail to remove heat very well after many years..) I just get a new stock one and they are fine. Van Cafe is showing the same part # for a radiator foran 85 as it is for a 91 Syncro . They remove heat just excellently, and will cool a 3.3 SVX subaru engine just fine. I like Water Wetter in the coolant in the summer time too. Many vanagons cooling systems are badly yucked up btw.

that's what I'd do ..get a decent quality new stock one. If your current one is pretty fresh .. There may be something else going on if there are any cooling issues.

if getting hoses ..be aware that for the hoses that go onto the main coolant pipes in 85 vanagons .. there are two versions for 85 .. early 85's with the smaller OD metal main coolant pipes ( they were just finishing up using what was left over from 84 productionit would seem ) and later 85's with the larger OD platic main coolant pipes.

related to that sort of .....let's see.....between early and later 85's , the changes are ..

different throttle switch on the later ones. cast lower suspension control arms on the later ones. almost all of them have the better parking brake handle, but a few early 85's have the previous model small one that's marginal performance wise. Plastic main coolant pipes on the later ones feels like I am forgetting one ..

oh right ..check out Van Cafe I suggest.. for one of their hoses they sell an adapter ..a size adapter. it might be that they can supply the hoses for the larger plastic coolant pipes but not the smaller metal ones and they have an adapter. And they have a rubber insertI think, something like that.

I have never seen any front radiator hose on a vanagon fail . Still have several fine original used ones. ( there are great for converting an 82 Diesel Vanagon with metal radiator to the later type rad. )

The ends of the plastic main coolant pipes sure fail though. If you have those and you are wanting to never have an issue there ....buy a good set of stainless pipes.. The ends of the plastic main pipes will get you sooner or later , usually.

Original hoses are generally really good. It's the hoses that run hotter that are the ones that fail first.

On 4/6/2013 6:12 PM, Jonce Fancher wrote: > Hi all Again! > > Should state it is for the 85 Vanagon. > Not sure if it matters or not. > I have a few sets of used hoses just didn't know if I could get new > ones since I am thinking of replacing the Rad for more cooling. > > Jonce > >> Hi all >> >> I was wondering if there was a source for a Larger Radiator Vs. the >> stock one. >> I also need to replace the forward radiator hoses. Is there a source >> for those still?? >> While I am at it does any one repo the Black panel boards that >> deflect the air into the radiator? >> I am sure I could reproduce them. It is only Water resistant door >> panel board and I have lots of it from my shop but most of the pieces >> on my van are sorta beat. >> >> >> Thanks Jonce >