Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Apr 2013 23:25:46 +0000
From:         J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Righting A Wrong
Comments: To: Jim Akiba <syncrolist@BOSTIG.COM>

Well, Jim, I had planned on doing a Bostig conversion on this van before I sold it, so that may now be an option again! A little more history: When I went to test drive this Vanagon, she was one sad pup. The sliding door had been hit, bondo'd, the bondo had cracked and was rusting underneath. The interior looked like Jack the Ripper had been turned loose on it. The brake pedal went all the way to the floor, and the exhaust was so full of holes it was like there wasn't an exhaust system. The canvas had holes in it. The seller was using it as a storage shed. It was running on 3 cylinders. After a short test drive I returned to the sellers house and politely told I'd "think about it" I drove off thinking only a fool would buy it. Over the next few days I DID think about it, called the seller and made an offer well below what he was asking. He accepted it, and  I bought it. In the first couple of days I got it running on all 4. Got a new exhaust system. Replaced the sliding door with one from a junk yard. New three window canvas. New pop top seals. Found a nice set of front seats, and added a swivel base to the passenger side (this is a Weekender). I lear ned to use a sewing machine and recovered the rear bed. I put in a new radio and made custom door panels. I replaced the front blower motor and at the same time replaced the cracked brown dash with one in perfect condition. I tore the engine all  the way down to the block, replacing the fuel lines and every seal and gasket. I designed and built my own custom rear bumper with a 2" receiver. And lastly, I repainted it the original color, Bronze Beige Metallic. She was beautiful! She ran great, always starting right up and made pretty good power. We took her to many concerts (last one was Aerosmith and Cheap Trick) where she always got a LOT of attention. I put my heart and soul into this van. Then my wife of 30 years decided to leave me, and for some reason I thought it was time to sell it. I was wrong! Very wrong. I was so excited when I read the email from the buyer asking if I wanted to buy it back, it took me a nano second the to hit "reply" and tell him "Hell, yes, I'll buy it back!" My first Bus event will be Natural Bus at Natural Bridge Virginia in June-and I don't have to ask my wife if it's OK to go!       Jeff Jeff Stewart ----- Original Message ----- > Cool story,  are you paying less than you sold it to him for?  Also > watch > out, if the vanagon is mad because you sold her, she's going to start > acting up :)  Now you need to put in some elbow grease and maintenance > time > to make up for it :) > Jim Akiba > On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Dave Mcneely <mcneely4@cox.net> wrote: > > Well, I've known people to get emotional about a cat (not me), but a > > car? > >  Well, I have cussed one now and again.  Oh well.  mcneely > > > > ---- Roland <syncronicity1@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > > Dear Jeff, > > > > > > About   ".... and cried when the buyer drove away with it. Never > > > done > > that > > > before.  "  Ok fine, I'll admit the same, I really did get broken > > > up once > > > when I let a great car got towed away forever.  ... and only have > > > the > > > pictures to remember, some pictures of my (then) 3 year old son > > > behind of > > > the wheel before it left.  I think I am in good company with > > > people like > > > you Jeff. > > > > > > Very happy for you!  Go for it! > > > > > > Roland > > > > > > > > > On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 7:11 PM, J Stewart <fonman4277@comcast.net> > > wrote: > > > > > > > A few months back (October to be exact) my personal life was in > > > > turmoil > > > > and I made a (wrong) decision to sell  my '85 poptop Weekender. > > > > Folks, > > I've > > > > owned over 90 cars in my 54 years, and I sto od in my driveway > > > > and > > cried > > > > when the buyer drove away with it. Never done that before. > > > >  Well, last > > > > night I get an email from the buyer-he wants to sell it and > > > > wants to > > know > > > > if I want it back. Hell yes I do! I'm not getting too excited > > > > until I > > have > > > > it sitting in my driveway, but it looks like I am getting my > > > > Westy > > > > back.      Jeff > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Jeff Stewart > > > > > > > > -- > > David McNeely > >