Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Apr 2013 17:47:15 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Brake Caliper Torque - 200 ft/lbs??
Comments: To: Dan Andrews <devilish.dan@GMAIL.COM>

You can use a cheater bar on the brake caliper mounting bolts. Get a long hand 1/2 inch swivel head breaker bar.. that will give just the right angle to put a cheater bar over the end of it , outboard of the fender/body area. Turn the steering to full lock to facilitate the angle on each side of course.

180to 200 ft lbs sounds like plenty enough to me. I like to put the tiniest bit of copper anti-seize on the threads and shanks of the bolts. Less than 'barely any' almost ..but something other than bare metal-to-metal.

On 4/2/2013 4:24 PM, Dan Andrews wrote: > John, > > The Haynes manual gives Brake caliper to steering knuckle torque as 160Nm (118lbf ft) > > Dan > > Sent from my iPhone > > On 03/04/2013, at 8:19 AM, JRodgers <jrodgers113@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > >> Just finished up installing new front wheel bearings and noted that >> Bentley calls for 200 ft/lbs of torque on the caliper bolts. I have >> found one that goes to 180 and the rest go to 150. How the devil do you >> get that torque value?? >> >> I'm working on the ground, so long cheater bars are out. Just not enough >> room for that much moment-arm. >> >> Where brakes are concerned - I want it right. >> >> Any suggestions?? >> >> Thanks, >> >> John