Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Apr 2013 11:39:47 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: What's a Hall sender do?
Comments: To: john schaper <tahljohn@GMX.COM>

Hi, it certainly be the problem whether you have a 1.9 or 2.1 wbxr ( ahem ) .

what is super useful is to have another spare known-to-work distributor. I also suggest checking for steady ignition by - remove dist from engine, make sure it's plugged in, turn on key, turn distributor with fingers watching for strong steady zap zap zap from the coil wire to engine block. wiggle and tilt the dist some ...see if you can make it skip a few zaps.

As I wrote last time, might have been you.. if this is a 1.9 wbxr the Idle Stabilzer can do exactly what you are talking about .. intermittant no-start. Have seen that a few times now. I also wrote that it will run without that part in the circuit, and that I really like to see one on a 1.9 wbxr engineanyway.

there are various levels and ways to discribe it, essentially a Hall Sender charges up the field in the primary windings of the coil, then triggers the release of that energy, producing the high voltage output from the secondary of the coil.

Does the same thing that points and a condensor do.But there's no physical arcing or wear like you'd have in points, and the ignition is much stronger.

and ....really ..gotta have a spare working distributor for testing and self-rescue. On my own 85 with 1.9 fuel and ignition systems, twice, at the same spot on I-5 going north, about 3 hrs drive north of me, I had to put in one of my other distributors, due to jerking and cutting out at speed. I now have a new Hall Sender ( about $ 107 might have been ) in the distributor I'm running and all seems fine. Consider that Idle Stabizer too.

also ..ya gotta have a Remote Starter Swtich so you can be back there by the engine while you testing, checking, and working on things. If someone makes a change, then goes up to crank it .. there is just so much more they can see and might notice if they are actually at the engine while operating it with their remote starter switch. That tool is one of the very most important electrical testing/trouble shooting tools I own. I could not fix cars without one.. if I had to, I'd make one first thing.

if anyone figures out why it doesn't occur to some people to say what year and version of vanagon they have or are working on , or where something they are selling is located ...let the list know please ! scott turbovans

On 4/8/2013 6:58 AM, john schaper wrote: > Still trying to diagnose and fix my intermittent start (latest theory is that it is do to dew point). Checked all grounds; saw some cracked wires to the distributor, spliced and repaired, vacuum lines connected, getting fuel, AFM is rebuilt, connections to fuel injection is good, coil is new, distributor is 2 years new as are spark plug wires. Swapped out a known good ECU with no effect. Now it won't start at all--just grinds with the engine turning. Now, after my recent repair fixes, it won't start and its 80 degrees! Reading the list and Bentley, the one item I haven't replaced or diagnosed is the Halls sender, generator or whatever is in the distributor. What does this thing do and could it be the problem? >