Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Apr 2013 22:42:56 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon "truisms"
Comments: To: Stuart MacMillan <stuartmacm@GMAIL.COM>

At 10:05 PM 4/11/2013, Stuart MacMillan wrote: >. Everyone wants to pass a Vanagon, no matter how fast it is going. > >. Corollary to above: No one will let a Vanagon pass them.

These must be West coast things. Nobody on the East coast seems to care one way or the other. Some people seem to speed up a bit if you overtake slowly, but that happens in any car I drive -- I think it's a sort of automatic reaction to having something slowly appear from behind. Doesn't seem to happen if you overtake briskly.

Around Boston it has seemed to be a fairly common phenomenon that if you signal that you're going to pull out to pass, the guy next back in the passing lane will speed up so you don't have room to pull out. But again it's not Vanagon-specific.

I did once in my life experience someone who really didn't want me to pass, and could make it stick, Thanksgiving 1971. I was in a Fiat 128 and he was in an MGB, it was the middle of the night and snowing hard. He finally couldn't go any more (halfway up a long hill on Pennslyvania 81) because all the cars ahead were stuck, and so perforce neither could we. By morning the snow was halfway up the doors (all the way up his). I bet he was colder than we were by the next afternoon. And that's the story of my 18 hours stuck in the snow with the future fantasist Robin McKinley and her future former husband, and not a pot to pee in. She seemed a mite preoccupied toward the end, and was glad to stop in at my aunt's in Washington NJ after we mushed the car down the hill to meet the Payloaders digging cars out and sending them away one by one.

A lot of the people stuck were locals and not prepared at all. The state came around in snowmobiles and a big 4x4 around noon, passing out quarts of milk and medevac-ing a baby. We used their broken trail, plastic chains, a couple shovels and that lovely light smooth-bottomed car and made it out three hours later, the only ones who tried. I don't know how long it took to get everyone out, we didn't follow up. But Robin was grateful and it gave us something to do other than wait. A Syncro Westy and a time machine would have been nice. Or a 'Bus with a working heater.

Yrs, d