Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Apr 2013 09:54:12 -0700
From:         Don Hanson <dhanson928@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Air scoops
Comments: To: Robert Stevens <mtbiker62@gmail.com>

I have the intake air coming into my motor from a duct that is routed up the D pillar on the right rear. I don't have dyno figures on this Vanagon (inline gas motor) but when I was racing cars I had a 440hp V8 Porsche that went to the dyno after each modification to quantify any progress we made. When I fabricated a fresh air intake that mounted behind the grill but in front of the radiator, rather than taking ambient engine compartment intake air, it got us almost 15hp....not a big percentage, but significant. All accepted wisdom says a colder intake air charge improves combustion and increases power...My inline, therefor, got that heater ducting attached to the air cleaner horn and routed up the D pillar to gather colder outside air...Seems like it would be cleaner air, too, in dusty driving. As far as scoops? One would have to take into consideration the added aerodynamic drag they'd create. I don't think a watercooled vanagon needs them....