Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Apr 2013 15:31:38 -0700
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      smart phone apps

There is a new app for smart phones that is useful for camping in California at http://calparks.org/app/.   Useful information when looking for something while on the road but it does require some form of internet connection. I have been using a Motorola Bravo available now used for 50 dollars on eBay or Craig list with service with consumer cellular.   Consumer cellular allows you to change your service a day before your billing date to fit your usage.    A useful feature when you have two smart phones is tethering.   This allows you to have the second phone without paying for any service.   The tethered phone without service connects to the other phone with service by way of a WiFi.   The Bravo I have had to be rooted to run the tethering service which is an app called wifi tether https://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/.   Since smart phones are a bit personal this allows the multiple users to access the internet using one service while traveling. I would not consider rooting your phone until your warranty runs out and I would not tether unless your service provider does not provide and charge for that service. You can also tether computers to the rooted service phone but be aware of cost of the increase in usage.    Gary