Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Apr 2013 13:37:41 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stock 2.1 in NC
Comments: To: Steve Cotsford <cotsford@AOL.COM>

HiSteve,. the muffler head shield attaches to the bolts that go through the rear engine mounting bar where the rubber mounts are. Then it attaches to the body and other sheet metal pieces with screws, threaded into the body, and sheet metal type to the side splash guards.

If you havea syncro Mustache Bar, aka engine mnt bar ...the sycnro one is 'dropped' about 2 inches compared to the 2WD version. Either shorten it on the ends by welding, or get a 2WD one. All sycnro parts are pretty valuable, IMO.

Rubber mountsare all the same, 2WDand Syncro ..on the engine bar.

the muffler heat shield ..the syncro one is longer top-to-bottom compared to 2WD. Both the 2.1 and 1.9 wbxr 2WD heat shield will fit just fine. I have lots of those. I have cruise control vaccuum actuators too. I can drive about 5 times smoother and more intelligently that CC, so I never use it myself.. or just for entertainment or tedium relief. < I may post on how UNsmoothly I seepeople driving vanagons when I ride with them sometimes. Many people are pretty clutzy by my standards ...which is all about being easy on the equipment, which doesn't have to mean driving slow or like an old fuddy-duddy either. )

the Bentley manual is not perfect, but you have to haveone for sure anyway. It's not really a 'how to' manual . That book 'should' or could tell a whole lot more about where things are, what various connectors look like etc. It's more a technical manual .. how to test things. They don't tell you particularily say, now to replace a water pump or clutch. They do cover engine removal .. In any case, it all helps ..all the info you can get.

Pretty impressive if people can fix vanagons without having another one anywhere to look at now and then. I have 15 of them, work on them exclusively full time.. and I'll still go see which way some wire or line lays or whatever , frequently, on another van.

Scott turbovans

On 4/14/2013 12:38 PM, Steve Cotsford wrote: > I know that the exhaust is not there and it looks like I am missing > the heat shield as well. Does it attach to the muffler or engine? > I think I have a syncro engine mount assembly ( the part that bolts to > the front of the engine)as it cannot fit to the engine mount tubular > metal assembly that I have. I'm guessing that the 2wd engine mounts > are completely different. The rubber mounts that I have may fit both > versions and the muffler bracket too. I am also in need of a cruise > control vacuum actuator and bracket. Electronics are there. > > I have a large part of the bits worked out in my mind and several > connectors are thoughtfully labelled. > >