Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Apr 2013 15:04:19 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stock 2.1 in NC
Comments: To: Steve Cotsford <cotsford@AOL.COM>

Hi Steve, thereis a stud welded onto 2.1 mustache bars, both Syncro and 2WD. it's a totally unnecessary added detail. there is a slot for the studin a 2.1 muffler heatshield. it really serves no real purpose. 1.9's don't have that stud. If you never put a nut and washer on that stud in a 2.1 it makes zero difference.

The stud points aft when the mustache bar is installed. there are also arrows on top of the outer ends of the mustache bar, stamped in.. those point forward .

re cruise control , whatever works for you ! after 8 or 10hours on a long mostly-one-speed drive, I use my left leg and foot on the gas. My personal records are.1,000 miles without stopping, expect for pee and burger breaks, have done that a couple of times. Also 22 hours continuousdriving without stopping.. and one time, with someone in the passenger'sseat, back in the more crazy days ..staying up 26 hours and driving witheyes wide open until the brain couldn't process the info anymore. That was a long time ago,late 60's . These days I may only drive 12 hours without stopping at the most. And in my current lifestyle I don't do many long trips anyway.

I get a new van like yours and I just can't wait to start organizing and cleaning details on it .. especially the mechanical areas. What fun ! scott

On 4/14/2013 2:17 PM, Steve Cotsford wrote: > Well it seems I misspoke. The mount I have works both with the 2wd engine and the syncro. As you say, it is the mustache bar that is different. > > The way the bar is sitting, supporting the transmission for towing, there is a stud welded roughly in the center. This points towards the tranny and fouls the aluminum bracket. However by turning the mustache bar around, the stud points backwards and there is no interference ....duh. The mustache bar came with the van so I'm sure it was the original. Probably that stud is used to hold the heat shield. I need to take my time and get things right ! > > If you have ever crossed Nebraska, South Dakota, Kansas etc you will appreciate a cruise control even if its just to not get cramps in your right calf! At least I do :-) Just yesterday pulling the van on a Uhaul dolly behind my Land Rover at 55 for 5 hours, I was happy to have cruise. I'm used to being in the other lane. > > Steve > > On Apr 14, 2013, at 4:37 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans wrote: > >> Hi Steve,. >> the muffler head shield attaches to the bolts that go through the rear engine mounting bar where the rubber mounts are. Then it attaches to the body and other sheet metal pieces with screws, threaded into the body, and sheet metal type to the side splash guards. >> >> If you have a syncro Mustache Bar, aka engine mnt bar ...the sycnro one is 'dropped' about 2 inches compared to the 2WD version. Either shorten it on the ends by welding, or get a 2WD one. >> All sycnro parts are pretty valuable, IMO. >> >> Rubber mounts are all the same, 2WD and Syncro ..on the engine bar. >> >> the muffler heat shield ..the syncro one is longer top-to-bottom compared to 2WD. >> Both the 2.1 and 1.9 wbxr 2WD heat shield will fit just fine. I have lots of those. >> I have cruise control vaccuum actuators too. >> I can drive about 5 times smoother and more intelligently that CC, so I never use it myself.. >> or just for entertainment or tedium relief. >> < I may post on how UNsmoothly I see people driving vanagons when I ride with them sometimes. Many people are pretty clutzy by my standards ...which is all about being easy on the equipment, which doesn't have to mean driving slow or like an old fuddy-duddy either. ) >> >> the Bentley manual is not perfect, but you have to have one for sure anyway. It's not really a 'how to' manual . >> That book 'should' or could tell a whole lot more about where things are, >> what various connectors look like etc. It's more a technical manual .. >> how to test things. They don't tell you particularily say, now to replace a water pump or clutch. >> They do cover engine removal .. >> In any case, it all helps ..all the info you can get. >> >> Pretty impressive if people can fix vanagons without having another one anywhere to look at now and then. >> I have 15 of them, work on them exclusively full time.. >> and I'll still go see which way some wire or line lays or whatever , frequently, on another van. >> >> Scott >> turbovans >> >> >> On 4/14/2013 12:38 PM, Steve Cotsford wrote: >>> I know that the exhaust is not there and it looks like I am missing the heat shield as well. Does it attach to the muffler or engine? >>> >>> I think I have a syncro engine mount assembly ( the part that bolts to the front of the engine)as it cannot fit to the engine mount tubular metal assembly that I have. I'm guessing that the 2wd engine mounts are completely different. The rubber mounts that I have may fit both versions and the muffler bracket too. I am also in need of a cruise control vacuum actuator and bracket. Electronics are there. >>> >>> I have a large part of the bits worked out in my mind and several connectors are thoughtfully labelled. >>> >>>