Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2013, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Apr 2013 12:15:09 +0000
From:         J Stewart <fonman4277@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Heater fan CHIRP!
Comments: To: Mike Bucchino Sr <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>

FWIW, the cheap fan is quiet when you take it out of the box and test it. It is once it installed that it howls on low speed. Jeff Stewart ----- Original Message ----- > If the noise is such a prevalent problem with these fans, it makes > sense to lube it properly with a high-temp grease before installing > it.  If it still makes noise after that, then it's the brushes or the > fan rubbing against the housing.  It also makes sense to test it on > all speeds before going through all the trouble of completely > installing it. > Mike B. > Sent from my iPhone > On Apr 9, 2013, at 7:14 AM, Jeff Lincoln <magikvw@GMAIL.COM> wrote: > > I have to admit I was a bit disappointed when I installed my new > > Myle > > heater motor too. It is pretty loud on 1 and 2. Now, I appreciated > > having > > heat more than anything so it doesn't bother to the point I can't > > stand it > > - but it can be annoying for sure. > > > > David - I think letting Ron know isn't a bad idea at all. At the > > very least > > he can put a blurb on there about the loud sound and people can make > > their > > choice to purchase with at least having known ahead of time. > > > > Thanks, > > > > Jeff > > '85 GL (Gertie) > > '78 Bus (Melissa) Patty's Bus > > > > > > On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 3:25 AM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans < > > scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > > > >> I will share my low cost low tech things that have workedfor me. > >> > >> 1. if it doesn't chirp on a higher speed ....use it at that speed > >> to get > >> it going. That seems to get the self-lubricating properties of the > >> bushings working again ...sometimes. > >> The chirp sound, IMO is the sound of metal molecules sheering off , > >> metal to metal. Don't run it in chirpmode. > >> > >> 2. consider the Karl M fix ..involves drilling a hole and squirting > >> lube. > >> > >> 3. back to low tech/low cost/low effort solution ... ...remove > >> front > >> grill, then remove the smaller grill.. > >> run fan , feed a fog of WD-40 into the fan air intake. This sort of > >> thing works a lot for me. Is an example of what I call 'messaging > >> to > >> health.' > >> > >> > >> 4. Submerge entire van in a giant vat of WD-40 for 2 minutes, lift > >> out. > >> Drive. > >> > >> re your comment .. > >> I have almost *never* had a problem treating *anything* with WD-40. > >> mainly metal and electrical, and  rubber , though sparingly on that > >> one. > >> metal and electrical .. > >> mostly all it can take. > >> I would submerge a starter in WD-40 example.. > >> as much as the notion of that might freak people out. > >> WD-40 as *never* done me wrong, in some 40 yrsof constant car work. > >> I buy it by the gallon and use a spray bottle. > >> > >> > >> > >> On 4/8/2013 10:52 AM, Stuart MacMillan wrote: > >> > >>> It's so loud and high pitched that it's painful to use the blower, > >>> even > >>> with > >>> my reduced hearing.  But, as I continue to, it's becoming less > >>> frequent. > >>> Do > >>> these things ever fix themselves?  It's probably  dry bearing or > >>> worn > >>> commutator/brushes, but with only 140k on it (an '85) it doesn't > >>> seem like > >>> it should be worn out since my '84 worked fine for 20 years and > >>> 225k. > >>> > >>> > >>> > >>> I'm tempted to shoot some WD-40 into the intake, but I'd probably > >>> regret > >>> it. > >>> > >>> > >>> > >>> > >>> Stuart > >>> > >>>